Can I have two operating systems?

ffonzones

8 months ago I was still not very smart about not deleting programs your not sure 100% about and I deleted a java program from ADD/REMOVE that was about 3-400MB. And the next time I turned on my cpu I couldn't get win xp back up. I had somewhat cpu savy friend poke around and tried to go thru safe-mode to fix it but nothing worked. So I put in the WIN XP CD the guy I bought my compaq presario desktop from and it basically loaded up a new win xp.

When I look at hard drive it's still showing that 70+GB is missing which led me to believe all my files/movies/programs etc. from other OS is still in there. So I downloaded a free hidden file prgrm and sure enuff I saw all the files etc. but couldn't actually get to them, it just showed the files were still there. So 2 questions...is it possible that erasing a JAVA prgm did this???or coincidence?? And can I get my old OS back or atleast merge the doc/movies etc. to my current OS?? thanks in advance

Answers

Q1: Did erasing JAVA do this? No, probably not. Coincidence.
Q2: Can I get the old OS back? No, you cannot.
Q3: Can I get the files back? Probably. Get a program that can get at the files. Once you have the files, or have decided all is lost, you may be able to format the 70 gigs so you can use that 70 gigs.

Thanks All !!!

Thanks for the advice...I've used other free programs in the past,but they never did what recuva did. So I found the files, the only problem I'm having now is it's basically duplicating them and not giving me the originals I think?? and took up another 40GB instead of giving me back the originals??? another question is if I delete the files I do recover will I start to gain space on my hard drive or are the files only being duped so I have to get some other prgrm and permanently get them out??? I hope I didn't dumb up what I said too much

I hope I didn't dumb up what I said too much
Sorry to say, but I personally did not understand.
Like I said above, you haven't given any information on your harddrive.

So you said something like, if I delete files, do I get more space? Yes I think you do.

yes, you do. ;)

but if you want to recover your files, but I'm not sure if you can recover it all, try to have a File Recovery. It can recover certain file type, like documents.

Are you sure that your files are all deleted? I mean, when you checked the hard drive, the capacity/ free space gets bigger?

A quick RE-explanation

I realize that I probably didn't say what I wanted to say the way I wanted to say it. So recuva found the files so I began to "recover them." But as they were being recovered the were actually taking up room again???And so I make myself clear these files are basically trapped in my other operating system which no one has given me any info on how to get at, so I thought when the files were recovered they were basically just being moved from one place to another. But if they're taking up more space then recuva is actually just copying them then right??? And if so How do I actually delete these lost files I can't get too, because recuva only has option to recover, And in essence since it's copying them then they're still technically lost where ever they were to begin with. I hope that's understandable. Honestly I feel like the way I'm explaining myself that this would be a funny part in some kind of drug movie???

Try chkdsk /r which often works wonders when 'deleted' files still get counted. Open a command window and type it. It will restart Windows and then take a very long time. Do it overnight.

Back