Can I print in a remote location?

HI Guys

Does anyone know if I can print in a remote location?

The remote location will not have a computer.

What do i need to be able to do this without a computer in the remote location,?

Cheers

well its impossible to do so u need a pc connected to that remote printer and that pc is linked to ur local pc with lan or wan wired or wireless well unless the printer can connect on a lan or a wan by itself which i never heard of :)
u can use blue tooth but the remote printer has to be in ur blue tooth range i.e a floor above or down same floor if its REMOTE as in far far away then forget it

Not my area of expertise, but if you're referring to a local area network connection you only need a network capable printer (ethernet port). Pretty sure it's essentially the same for an internet connection provided the IP of the printer can be made visible through the router and firewall. One of network guys would be able to provide more specific information.

Not my area of expertise, but if you're referring to a local area network connection you only need a network capable printer (ethernet port). Pretty sure it's essentially the same for an internet connection provided the IP of the printer can be made visible through the router and firewall. One of network guys would be able to provide more specific information.

no kidding there is a printer with ethernet port lol
still tho u'll need an internet connection there not sure i can help u on this one since i've never done it before.

Depends what you are trying to print i guess, most printers have memcard slots these days, and built in screens.

Haven't tried it, but I'd imagine it's like setting up an IP camera.

At the remote site, you'll have a router & a network printer. Probably works best if the WAN IP is static. But might work if you have something like DynDNS set up on your router. The router I was using didn't have that function, so DynDNS was running on the computer. Whenever the IP address changes, the DynDNS program would send an update. All I need to remember is the name, for example myremotedevice.something.net, not the actual IP.

Need to set up port forwarding on the remote router too & set up the network printer. You'll need a computer to do the initial setup, but once done, you don't need a PC at the remote location. The network printer would also have a static LAN IP address. The computer(s) you'll be using to print would need to have the printer drivers installed.

Again, I haven't tried this. I'm going by what I did to set up an internet camera at my parents' place. I think the process would be similar.

unless the printer can connect on a lan or a wan by itself which i never heard of :)

Both my laser and multifunction inkjet are equipped with a ethernet port. Both are connected to a switch in my home network, and have never, ever, been connected by any physical cable to any PC in my house.

They're very common in commercial or business environments, especially offices. Midrange home office products are beginning to see these features more now as well.

I got my folks an EPSON Artisan 800 about 2 yr ago. It's an all-in-one stand-alone device. Has ethernet & wi-fi. It was connected to their desktop via USB, then I set it up as a network printer so I can print to it from my work laptop when I stop by to visit them.

Yes, the network printer sits on the LAN with a static IP and the other systems use Add Printer->Network to find it.

HOWEVER, attempting Print Sharing through the firewall from some system on the Internet is dangerous - - the Print Sharing runs on the same ports as the File Sharing and you expose your systems to all kinds of nasty stuff.

The only safe way to do this safely is via a DMZ located system with the shared printer and that implies that this system is willingly exposed and you are prepared to reinstall due to that exposure.

The setup looks like
Code:
isp--> firewall#1 ----> firewall#2 ---> protected Lan systems
            (DMZ mode)
              |
              + system or printer
and then ALL the lan systems need a new route to be added to get to that printer.

Back