Can I put a quad-core in this

By acefsj
Oct 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a hp pavilion tx 2500 2 ghz dual core 250 gig hard drive 3 gig ram laptop can i put a quad core in here thanks
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +715

If HP shipped this machine, in your same model and year with a quad core CPU, then probably yes. If they didn't, then it's doubtful

Hp is protective of its manuals and such. I had no luck negotiating their website as a visitor. As an owner, you would need certain information, and could then create an account to gain access to the information you seek.
  3. acefsj

acefsj TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

thanks i have only been able to find duo cores i can still upgrade to a 2.4 from a 2.0 but is it really worth it
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +715

Everything else being the same, I don't think a 20% boost in CPU speed is going to "rock your world" so to speak. If you have to buy the CPU at or near retail price, I'd let it go for sure.

Even if the faster CPU was free, I'm a bit superstitious about tampering with the inner workings of a laptop anyway. I wouldn't do it unless something was broken, but that's just me.
  5. acefsj

acefsj TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

good point ill leave it as is throw 1 more gig of ram in and call it good thanks for the help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.