Can I put a smaller motherboard in my OEM case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

All,

Wanted to pick the collective minds of you all and ask if I can put a smaller motherboard than the original in this HP OEM case? I read that someone else did in another thread I Googled, but the thing is that the standoffs wouldn't line up I believe so I don't know how he did it. The original is 9.6 x 9.1 and the replacement would be 9.0 x 7.8 inches. Thx all.

I wrote similar about this a few hours ago here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=750435#post750435

Basically OEM means that your Windows version will not work (either due to restore image, or just on legalities) by changing the proprietary OEM Motherboard

And none of the support or drivers will work again, ie from here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100655.html

You are much more safer and wiser to leave it standard, and then sell it complete, and build your own computer (if you want)

Don't change manufacture OEM hardware (update Ram and alike is ok, but not Motherboard)

Also the front wires may not connect to a new motherboard and the motherboard plate may not align up

So you're saying in the other thread that my self-created Windows Restore DVD or CD won't work if I replace the motherboard? What if the motherboard dies, then what do you suggest I put in there? thx again

That's correct, that's what I'm saying

By the way, if your Motherboard dies you need to locate the same Motherboard from somewhere to replace it (ie HP or eBay, or just Google for one)

If you can't find the same motherboard, you can sell the entire computer with faulty Motherboard

Do not replace the OEM Motherboard with another foreign Motherboard
You are best to build your own computer from scratch

can I replace the OEM motherboard with the same motherboard but a different version with an additional dedicated graphics card slot? This one doesn't have one and there is a different version of it that has AGP and that would be really nice.

Also, could I still get tech support with the different version motherboard? thx :grinthumb

Version ...

There are two meanings of versions
1. Same Motherboard but updated revision, including updated Bios
2. Different Motherboard but same type or manufacture

Both situations won't work
It must be the same, so the S/N matches up online (Drivers, Windows the lot)

You do know that HP still sell Windows Restore discs for your model
That's full restore with included key
And usually around $40

If you change to a new style motherboard none of this will work.

Here's your best option ;)
Contact HP: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100655.html
Ask how much for a motherboard, and what the type compatibility is (ie there may be two different motherboards available ;))

Oh. And stop quoting me (big quotes!) just press reply not quote.

I should be able to burn the same Windows Restore discs free, or that's what the manual seems to indicate. So replacing my MSI MS-6577 ver. 3.1 with ver 2 or 4 will cause me not to be able to download driver updates or Windows updates? thx

Tech support said it would work but I would have to contact Microsoft to get my copy of Windows to work again with the new motherboard.

Obviously, if you change that motherboard and put in maybe an ASUS, MSI or Biostar etc motherboard, you will have to purchase a new CD key in order to have a registered and fully working copy of Windows running. As Kimsland said, you're just better off building a new system from scratch. If you change your motherboard to something that is not HP or even a different HP motherboard, in reality, you would not be running an HP machine anymore, and therefore, the OEM CD will most likely not work properly (if at all) with the new board. If you can get the motherboard to fit in the HP case, then you basically just saved yourself the money of buying a new case but keeping a crappy worked up case and, at the end of it, you would still have to purchase a new Windows OS in order to have a proper-working genuine copy.

If you change your motherboard to something that is not HP or even a different HP motherboard, in reality, you would not be running an HP machine anymore, and therefore, the OEM CD will most likely not work properly (if at all) with the new board.

So you are saying if I put a different HP motherboard in my OEM HP machine it isn't still HP? I would think it is still HP but a different kind of HP and therefore still functional. Motherboard failures occur on HP machines and when they do, you have to use the tattoo utility to write an EPROM to the BIOS. As long as I get my PC tattooed, it should work if I put a different verison mobo in as what I have now. HP Tech support said it would work but I have to contact Microsoft and explain to them why I changed the mobo so my copy of Windows can reactivate.

^ Lol...sorry about that...didn't mean to say that. It WOULD still be an HP system if you put another HP motherboard, but that does not mean it would be functional with the OEM CD you have. What motherboard are you putting in by the way?

I intend to replace my MSI MS-6577 ver 3.1 with another version of the same motherboard but with an added AGP slot. Versions 1 & 2 have that I believe. I would rather put in a different motherboard that is a little smaller but uses all the same components but I think simply replacing the mobo with another version of it should increase the likely hood of being able to get Microsoft to give me another key to reactivate.

^ Well as long as you can get the new board to sit in the case properly and you have the drivers for the board, then it may be worth it. You should check up how much it would cost altogether to get what you want done and then decide if building a system from scratch is a better idea. As far as Microsoft giving you a new CD key, you may need to do a little research to find out what their policies are regarding replacement of their OEM version operating systems. Which version of Windows do you intend to run anyway?

The new motherboard would have the exact same dimensions. I can go to the HP website and download drivers if the mobo needed them. I wouldn't be replacing Windows, just the mobo and Microsoft has to be informed of the change because of proprietary restrictions. I am using the Windows XP Home Edition that came with my PC back in 2004 and I don't want to use another because I can't afford it and I don't want to replace a genuine copy with a hacked copy off the internet.

Can I put a smaller motherboard in my OEM case?

Well the thread Title is not correct anymore
Now it's the same everything, but higher revision :rolleyes:

So obviously it may work

Well, I know there is a lot of proprietary restrictions in replacing a HP motherboard, so I would think that the same motherboard but a different revision is the best way to go. The responses I got helped steer me in that direction whereas previously when I started the thread, I thought other mobos could work just as well possibly. (And they still could if Microsoft would approve the swap all the same)

Wanted to follow up and state that the mobo swap worked without "Code Purple" proprietary security. So in other words, for $45 dollars including shipping and insurance, I got AGP 4x capability. I intend to get the Sapphire HD 3850 from the Egg. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised I didn't get Code Purple because I did a lot research on Google to get around it if I needed to.

Not sure if everyone can do what I did, but in my case it worked. The key I believe was that the mobo was the same brand and model only with an AGP slot that was left off at the factory in the original mobo in my HP build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back