Can I recover my files and data after they have been formatted?

i wanted to upgrade my windows 7 home premium to enterptise. a friend provided me with the software. i was hoping that it will give options to upgrade unfortumately it didnt it just ran automatically and formatted my hard drive and installed the new software but have lost all my important information there. can i
be able to retreave anything back?

TBH, formatting doesn't completely delete all your files. If it did, there would've been no need for 'wiping' softwares.
So the answer is yes, they are recoverable. But it's tricky. You can contact someone more experienced on it.
Good luck.
Regards, Marnomancer.

Yes, you can, BUT...

Yes, ngrunoz, you can recover some of your information using one of the many "data recovery" softwares available today. Some are free, others are shareware that will recover limited amounts of data and there are some paid, which will (attempt to) recover all the data on the formatted disk. Unfortuneately, of course, you may not be able to recover everything because you probably have over-written some data when you installed the new OS.

DO NOT USE THE DISK FOR ANYTHING WHILE YOU DECIDE HOW TO PROCEED. DO NOT BOOT IT, READ FROM IT NOR ANYTHING ELSE.

I have successfully used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional in the past and highly recommend it. http://www.easeus.com You will have to be patient, read everything carefully before beginning... and then read everything again. :) Really!

Again, as they caution:
DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE DISK ON WHICH THE LOST DATA IS LOCATED

With any luck it just did a quick format. If it did a full format, not sure if data recovery software can help but good luck!

With any luck it just did a quick format. If it did a full format, not sure if data recovery software can help but good luck!

Quick format = Best chance of successful recovery
Standard (Full) format = Good chance of successful recovery
Low-level format = No chance of recovery

Chances are still bright to recover lost data from hard disk for that you need to use a powerful recovery software but before that you need to understand that any recovery software recovers data from storage device only when it is not overwritten with any new data. Here in your case some space of your hard disk is overwritten with new files so I am not sure that you will recover all your data by using any third party recovery software.

Back