Can I replace a Celeron Chip with a P4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a Celeron Computer. Can I put a P4 chip into it. I went to the Compaq site but there were no details about it there.

My system is Old. All I'M trying to do is get a little more life out of it..

Thank you..

It will probably work as others have said, it depends on the system, but for the most part a Celeron is just a pentium with some of the cache disabled (they do this to be able to use "defective" chips that have a fully functioning core but some non-functional cache If there is still enought of the cache working to meet the celeron specs the excess and/or non-functional cache is disabled and the chip becomes a celeron this leads to higher yeild and lower chip prices across the board)

this being said you must use a cpu that fits your socket (it think it's a 478 from the chipset) it appears a northwood core P4 would be the best bet; a prescott core cpu (they made them for socket 478 as well as 775) uses a higher 800 mhz fsb which may not be compatible with your older chip set.

you can confirm the socket type by removing the cpu cooler since it is stamped into the socket (makesure to use new thermal compound if you reinstall the cpu cooler) and be sure to use a cooler that supports the higher heat produceing pentium if you upgreade the cpu

p4 and celeron

hey. I've been trying to do the same thing with my dell and everything I've found says you can as long as your mobo supports it and the cpu's take the same socket. check out wikipedia and type in your model number and see if anything come's up. I've got a Dimension B110. Check that one out just for reference. Hope it helps.

Now to my problem. I got a Dimension B110 and a Dimension 4300. I'm trying to take the dimension 4300 cpu and put it in the B110. Everything i've read says i should be able to do it. It's a p4 1.6ghz., 400hz, 478pin, ect. It supports all the technical stuff i think. Whenever i plug the power cable into the back the computer boots up on its own and the screen is just black. It says it's in a power save mode. The tower is in some power save mode too i think (an orange light on the front lights up). I've updated my bios to A01 and a lot of my drivers. Anyone know what's up? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back