Can I replace my OEM mobo with the same make & model but different version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

All,

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read this. I want to replace my OEM MSI MS-6577 mobo that came with my HP for another version of the MSI MS-6577 mobo but the new one would have an AGPx4 slot and the current one only has PCI slots. I read that replacing the motherboard on OEM systems with Windows XP like mine has, will cause big problems unless it for the exact same make and model motherboard. In my situation, it is the exact same make and model but a different version of the mobo that would have an additional AGP slot. Would this give me BSOD or would the swap go smoothly? I am also hoping not to have to reinstall Windows XP without having to go buy a copy as I read you can't do that off recovery discs with OEM Windows XP builds. Thank you everyone again.:grinthumb

The problem would be with Microsoft

I believe you could put a different version of motherboard on there, heck, you could put an entirely different make of motherboard if you wanted as long as it fits the case's form factor. Simply, the screw holes on the motherboard have to align with the holes on the case.

The trouble you will run into is with Microsoft. Your copy of XP is associated with the serial number, model, and make of your present motherboard, and it's recorded in Microsoft's database. That's what happens when you activate a Microsoft product. The operating system or software will get your motherboard's information and record it. Now here comes the problem...

If you put in a new motherboard, the operating system on your hard drive is going to look up your previous motherboard's information when it boots up. If it sees a new motherboard, it will say, "I'm not associated with you, so I must not be licensed with you!" and it will tell you to contact Microsoft or buy a new copy of Windows.

What you have to do then is call Microsoft and ask them if you can associate your copy of Windows with a new motherboard. They will want to know why. Usually, they will only do that if your motherboard failed, exploded, or somehow became destroyed so you had to replace it. I don't know about motherboard upgrades. To Microsoft, each and every motherboard is a separate computer, and you are only licensed for one computer.

So, what I would do if I were you is to call Microsoft and ask them if you can move your license to a new motherboard before you do anything else.

I've heard that a NIC change + any other change is most likely to cause activation failure. Since almost all boards have onboard nic, this means replacing the board casues failure. I've wondered if you used a pci nic on the original board, and then transferred that nic to the new board if that would "help" keep it activated. A little info on how activation works.

I suggest that you contact HP support. They will direct you to read from the computer's label your model & "part number". When they look up the replacement mobo, they will give you the part number(s). Have them quote the specs. Then ask them about "system restore cd". If they have a different part number for the "cd" for each listed mobo, then you're screwed.

Be open & honest with them, and explain what you hope to accomplish. OEM XP license with consideration for mobo replacement is not a new issue for them.

you will be fine with changing the motherboard with Microsoft. Since the board is different than the one you have, your best bet will be to back up everything. You could try to do a repair install, but your best bet would be a fresh installation. Once that is done, windows will try to activate online. If it requires you to call them, do so. If it asks you if you've done a major change like replace the motherboard say yes. It will prompt you a couple more times, then activate.

Thanks to all for your replies. My biggest concern ,which many of you may not be aware of, is HP's proprietary security measure called "code purple". Which mean when I start up with a different mobo, it won't allow me to enter into the OS at all. I am told I have to tattoo the mobo with hp dmi for the recovery to work and if I don't have the tattoo then I will get an error message and it will exit. So I can't even get to where I would call Microsoft to reactivate my Windows XP because of code purple. It doesn't seem dishonest to me to replace my mobo with the exact same one only with an AGP slot, but I think my system will spasm regardless.

I am either going to do a low cost upgrade solution by putting a Sparkle 8500 GT in this PCI only machine or upgrade to PCI-e 2.0 slot mobo with a fresh install of Windows. Thanks for the advice again, I'm not going to bother trying to make this work with HP's proprietary security measures if I do replace the mobo and that was my big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back