Can I require two passwords to access a wireless network?

By jephph
May 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I've got a guy who wants to double password protect his wifi. I know that having strong encryption, and a long password with alpha-numeric and non-alpha-numeric characters would work better for him, but I'm not sure I can convince him of that. Is there a way that I can require two passwords to get into a wireless network?
  2. stonarda

stonarda TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 180   +17

I dont think it is possible unless you invest in some expensive hardware such as those at businesses (where you need to login on a login page).
  3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,386   +608

Quick solution: Hide the SSID, so he needs to insert the SSID and password. 'Double' passwords!

Long solution: Not worth it. I'm not even going to bother explaining, sorry. :(
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,292   +282

There are some routers which partition WiFi into two groups: Normal & Guests.
    Doing that allows guests to get only internet access w/o access to lan devices.
    Each has a unique passphrase.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.