can i stop the mouse from waking the computer up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mod-newbie

hi guys!
i have my computer setup (in the windows power control panel) so that the monitor/HDD shuts off after 15 mins of inactivity. this all works fine, but what i would like to do if possible is to disable the mouse from waking them back up up again. i want to make the keyboard the only way to wake it up, not the mouse movement. i want to do this because i often bump the mouse by accident then i have to wait another 15 mins for it to shut off again (no i don't want to set it any lower than 15 mins and i don't want to use standby either).

Does anybody know if this is possible?

thanks alot!

If XP, Start, Control Panel, Printers and Other Hardware, Mouse, Hardware Tab, Properties, Power Management.

Maybe similar to the above.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
If it's a USB mouse then pull it out and put the PC in standby. It'll be easy to put it back too.

This made me chuckle, when you plug the mouse back in youll probably bring the PC out of standby because of movement so your doing what the OP doesnt want to do in the first place.

As the OP stated they only want the keyboard to bring the PC out of standby not the mouse ;)

thanks for the responses guys, but unfortunetly neither suggestion helps me :(

rage: as i said in my 1st post i don't want to use standby. unplugging the mouse each time just isnt practical. i'm looking for some kind of setting in windows to stop the mouse movement from turning the monitor and HDD back on.

dazze: i am using windows xp sp2 but there is no power management setting in the mouse control panel. if it makes any difference im using a mircosoft usb intellimouse

dazzer9535 said:
This made me chuckle, when you plug the mouse back in youll probably bring the PC out of standby because of movement so your doing what the OP doesnt want to do in the first place.

As the OP stated they only want the keyboard to bring the PC out of standby not the mouse ;)
I meant that if he wanted to bring it out of standby, he could plug in the mouse again. But that's inconvenient for him. There is an option like that in Device Manager. Right click My Computer->Properties->Hardware Tab->Device Manager button. Double-click the 'Mice and other pointing devices" option to expand it and right click the only option that shows under it. Select properties and in the power management tab, uncheck the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option and click OK. Put the PC in standby and see if it works.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I meant that if he wanted to bring it out of standby, he could plug in the mouse again. But that's inconvenient for him. There is an option like that in Device Manager. Right click My Computer->Properties->Hardware Tab->Device Manager button. Double-click the 'Mice and other pointing devices" option to expand it and right click the only option that shows under it. Select properties and in the power management tab, uncheck the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option and click OK. Put the PC in standby and see if it works.

Yeah what I said :rolleyes:

@ mod-newbie

Im not sure if there is a mouse plug in for such a thing maybe try a bit of googling :)

Mmm just a thought is it a generic mouse or did you get any software with it?

i dont have that option in anywhere in my system :rolleyes:

then again, i never installed the software that came with it either.

did you install the supplied drivers? or are you just using the windows generics?

:wave:

hi. no i didn't instal any software it just works when i plug it in
do you guys think that instaling the software will add that function to it?

i dont know where my software cd is so i guess ill try m$'s website and see what i can get. if rage and dazzer both have those options then y dont i? this is frustrating :(

mod-newbie said:
hi. no i didn't instal any software it just works when i plug it in
do you guys think that instaling the software will add that function to it?

i dont know where my software cd is so i guess ill try m$'s website and see what i can get. if rage and dazzer both have those options then y dont i? this is frustrating :(

I have no idea why you dont have that option, mind you I am using XP Pro so I dont know whether that makes any difference and my mouse is just a bog standard mouse and no software has ever been installed with it.

I guess its a Bill Gates infinite wisdom thing ;)

KingCody said:
i dont have that option in anywhere in my system :rolleyes:

then again, i never installed the software that came with it either.

did you install the supplied drivers? or are you just using the windows generics?

:wave:
It is in mine. Maybe because I'm using a USB mouse? I never installed any software too and am using generic windows drivers which recognize it as an HID-compliant mouse.

Right click My Computer->Properties->Hardware Tab->Device Manager button. Double-click the 'Mice and other pointing devices" option to expand it and right click the only option that shows under it. Select properties and in the power management tab, uncheck the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option and click OK. Put the PC in standby and see if it works.
Try "USB Root Hub" devices instead, in USB controllers section.

Going there will show a Power Management tab but the only option that u r able to change is "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power". At least it does in mine.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Try "USB Root Hub" devices instead, in USB controllers section.
yey :) there are 2 usb root hubs and properties for each one both have a power management. but in both ones the "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option is grayed out so i cant check it off :(

it doesnt look like what i wanna do is possible but thanks for all your help anyways guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back