Can I Upgrade my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin_Capacitor

I have an older laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155, and I have upgraded the RAM to 1GB (Intel's site says this is the max RAM it can have - is that true?)

I also wanted to know if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. It has a Intel mobile celeron, 478 pin socket, 2Ghz, 400mhz bus, and 256kb L2 cache. I found this: http://www.upgradebay.com/cpus/Celeron Mobile Processor.asp
I think it would work, but it could be 'locked out' by the bios so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience, and if anyone knows of a faster one and is a 400mhz upgrade worth it?

Finally, I realize that I will most probably never be able to upgrade my video card, and I know were dealing with integrated graphics, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to force it to use more ram for memory or possibly even OC it a bit?

It's really not worth messing with such an old laptop as they are not designed to be upgraded.

To fit a new cpu you would have to completely strip the lappy down and thats a big big job.

If you want to upgrade ur CPU then possibly go into a electrical shop that sells those stuff and ask them which CPU is most suitable for ur laptop to upgrade. Also, because it's a big job see if they can do it for u; most shops do that nowadays. However, they also charge u for it but if u really want to do it it's up 2 u. :)

oh yea and one more thing about the graphics card: does your graphics card have a control applet maybe or u know something that controls it's characteristics. If it does then go into that and see if you can force it to use ur ram. my pleasure 2 help u. bye :D

if your graphics is using your system ram then you should be able to change how much it uses in the bios

kiyhkuj, please use the edit post button when there are no new replies, thanks :)

the control applet thing might be in control panel, and in the other control panel options in the common task bar.

uhh, Ive taken my CPU out... all I have to do is take the panel on the bottom off - I've done it to clean my heat sink from time to time, the only annoying thing is the special screws. The one in the link in my first post is the same type/socket/bus speed so i think i should work, I just want to know if anyone has had any experience, if a .4Ghz upgrade is worth ~30$ (theres one on ebay), and if anyone knows of a faster one.

I've been around the controller app thing for my (terrible) integrated graphics, and there is a setting "driver memory footprint" and set it to high, but the max it will ever allocate is 64mb - which is awful.

I had not thought of that - I will update and look in the bios and hopefully find something.

Thanks for the suggestions!

i can't say exactly where in the bios that it would be because not every bios is the same

you could get the processor if you wanted to upgrade it but it's up to you whether another 400mhz is really worth putting a new one in, that's totally your decision at the end of the day :)

if you mean where's the edit button you must know because you've been editing your second posts, so edit the original one to add your new information/comment/whatever in instead of posting a new reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back