Can I use a LCD monitor as a TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverwind

I've been looking into LCD TVs for some time and some guy told me I could buy a LCD monitor and use a VCR as the tuner for a TV?? Does anyone have any experience with this?? I know that there are VGA to audio component converters, but I wonder about the sound? I know some of the more expensive monitors have video connections but I was wandering about using a VGA connection..Could anyone please shed some light on this and perhaps provide the cheapest solution for creating a flat screen LCD TV without having to spend all the $$ on an actual LCD TV? Thanks!

You don't want a converter - it will just either reduce quality or cost you a lot extra. Just get a LCD with a composite video input like any of these for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...14222&Subcategory=20&description=&srchInDesc=

You need something for the sound too of course. Most home equipment takes "AUX" or "line-in" input in the form of two RCA plugs or a 3.5mm jack, so you could easily use your existing stereo system.

And yes, you'd have to do the RF tuning with the VCR.

Thanx Nodsu, I appreciate the feedback!! Do you think that 8ms is appropriate for this usuage? I'm not sure what would be decent quality for this particular use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back