TechSpot

Can I use DDR2 and DDR3 RAM together?

By CaptainRobbie
Jun 9, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I currently have 3Gb of DDR2 memory, in 2 slots (1x 1GB, 1x 2GB) - however i wanted to increase this to 4GB or even 6GB. Basically i was wondering if the following factors would affect my choice:

1-Is there a limit of how much RAM i can have in my motherboard?
    2-Can i cross between DDR3 and DDR2 memory in the two slots, or do i have to keep the same type in each? - (and also, whats the difference between the two)

Thank You :)
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

If your motherboard currently supports DDR2, then you can only add DDR2. They're not slot compatible.

Which motherboard do you have? Most modern motherboards should support 4 to 8GB of RAM.
  3. Severemc

Severemc TS Rookie

I don't think motherboards support both DDR2 and DDR3. You pick one or the other... and if you buy DDR3 make sure that's what your motherboard supports.
  4. CaptainRobbie

CaptainRobbie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

According to a system scan on www.crucial.co.uk i have 4194304 MB of available memory, so im ugessing i should be fine haha :D. I mean jeez, thats HUGE!!
  5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

6. CaptainRobbie

Yeh i presuemd it would be wrong :D, im sure i cna get away with seelling my 1GB and replacing it with a 2 or a 4 :p
  7. CaptainRobbie

My graphics card has its own DDR3 512MB bank of memory, will this not work because my motherboard is a DDR2 memory?
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,679   +880

Video memory has nothing to do with the RAM in the computer. Thank goodness, since the latest video memory is GDDR5.

The only place I could see a conflict is when you have a graphics card which is using system memory in addition to the cards onboard memory. I'm not even certain that this makes a difference, but most of the video cards using this strategy are low powered, and have GDDR2 memory anyway.
  9. hellokitty[hk]

Well your computer is working now right?
    No discrete video card memory is in no way related.
  10. captaincranky

What you can't do, is to use the double negative in that sentence.
  11. hellokitty[hk]

No; discrete video card memory is in no way related.

Happy? No? Ahh well.

12. captaincranky

There's something you don't see everyday, a little lost semicolon rescued by my enduring efforts
  13. captaincranky

Sorry, I seem to be lost.
  14. jaunetravolta

jaunetravolta TS Rookie

perhaps it exists motherboard on which you can mix, but if I were you, I do not try...

Trust my experience with SDRAM and DDR with my old Athlon Thunderbird.... slow accesses...
  15. hellokitty[hk]

I have no idea what you're talking about, the answer is a straight no.
  16. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,432   +218

Well, since this old thread has already been resurrected, let me put in my 2ยข. There have been motherboards that support both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM but you can only use one or the other at the same time. For example: MSI P45-8D.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.