Can I use USB Headphones on my Xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Rock

Hi everyone,

Before I tell you what I've tried already, I want t o ask:

Is there anyone out there who knows if USB headphones work with an Xbox 360 console?

See, I'm having trouble getting my Xbox to run on my monitor. I have a 24" LCD from Acer with two input ports. One is VGA and the other is DVI. It also has inbuilt speakers that can be connected through a little 3.5mm audio jack.

My problem is getting the 360 to display Audio and Visual signals together. I am able to get one or the other, but not both. First I tried using a HDMI to DVI adapter so I could plug a HDMI cord in. It showed a beautiful picture, but I couldn't hear anything.

Turns out the even thought the HDMI cord is supposed to carry sound as well as visual, the sound can't be transmitted through the HDMI to DVI adapter, I don't know if I have a faulty adapter or if the DVI port isn't designed to transmit sound.

When the HDMI cable didn't work, I tried running the Xbox though the red, green and blue component cables that came with the 360, to an adapter that changes the red, green and blue to an S-Video male part. I connected this S-Video adapter to my graphics card (an 8800GT) but this time nothing happened. I tried with the computer on and off, no sound OR audio.

After that I bought another adapter from Ebay, a RCA to VGA (with the red and white sound plugs pluged into another adapater the turns the left and right audio channels into a 3.5 mm audio jack) and now I am able to get sound, but no picture. Again I am not sure if it's the adapter itself.

What I'm going to try is using the HMDI cable again, but use some USB headphones to get the audio. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? If you do pease help.

Regards Classic Rock,

I don't know anything about the 360 but here's my suggestion to solve your problem.
You're correct in saying that DVI doesn't support sound. Therefore, if it's possible, I'd suggest using the HDMI cable with DVI adapter for picture only and your RCA for sound only. If the 360 can use both HDMI and RCA at the same time, this will work. If not, I can't help you.

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to say that I've already tried that too. The HDMI Cable will not fit into the 360 while the RCA cables are plugged in. Microsoft obviously thinks that no one will ever need to use both at once. Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it.

If you hear of anyone who's solved this problem for themselves in the near future, please let me know.

Regards,
Classic Rock.

Actually having both your HDMI and RCA cables pugged in at the same time is the solution to this. Microsoft actually bundles an RCA dongle in with the xbox branded HDMI. the only difference is however is that it is thin and so they will both fit while plugged in. This allows you to run either standard audio or optical, but it costs like 50 dollars. If you don't want to spend money then you can just take the plastic covering off of the RCA cables that came packaged with the 360 and it will make it thin enough. Hope that helps,

Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back