Can I use Windows 7 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csba09

I am wondering if my computer can handle the 64-bit version of Windows 7. My computer specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
Asus A8N-SLI Socket 939 motherboard
nVidia 7600 GT videocard

When I run the windows system upgrade advisor it tells me to install the 32-bit version, but I already purchased the 64-bit version without thinking I would have a problem since my CPU is 64-bit. I just want to make sure it will work before I install it.

I'm new to Windows 7 (professional 64bit), but I know you need minimum 4GB ram to run 64 bit Windows.
You also need to make sure your apps will work with 64bit. Also, you say you purchased 64 bit version? When I installed, I was prompted whether I wanted 32 or 64 bit.

csba9,
You should have no problem processor wise. Like stategic said you will need RAM, you can load it up and Windows will actually use more than 4GB (32bit limitation). You'll need new printer drivers (if you have an HP printer they seem to have quite a few 64 bit, other brands may be a problem as well as older HP printers). I believe Windows 7 will have all your hardware drivers as it appears fairly new. I also think that most modern 32bit apps will install and run in 64bit, that may take some research. I was very pleased with the one 64 bit I have done so far. Office 2007 32bit had no problems whatsoever.
good luck and report back

It will work, you don't have to have more than 4 gigs. I'm running 7 Pro 64bit on 3 gigs just fine. The only concern is if there are 64bit drivers for everything. Graphics/Sound/Chipset should all be good, printers you'll want to check on, same with scanners, tv tuner cards, and anything else you have attached.

In addition to what SNGX1275 stated, I don't know if this is the adviser you were referring to, but it's the one I ran on my old system, (knowing it could never run Windows 7) and at least it told me about all my apps being compatible with Windows 7. 32 bit or 64 bit and if there are updates available.

In addition to what SNGX1275 stated, I don't know if this is the adviser you were referring to, but it's the one I ran on my old system, (knowing it could never run Windows 7) and at least it told me about all my apps being compatible with Windows 7. 32 bit or 64 bit and if there are updates available.

Yeah, that's the advisor I ran. It showed that all my attachments and hardware had drivers to run on 64-bit. I think most of my software is compatible as well. I've heard you can run the 64-bit version with 2gb of RAM, but I guess I may need to upgrade.

You're right. you can run with 2GB of ram, as sngx stated, you don't need 4GB as I previously mentioned, I guess i was thinking about my apps requiring that amount.
To be honest, you should have at least 3GB so you'll be worry free from upgrading for a long time to come.

you should have no hardware problems other than drivers for your peripherals.
Software you may run into issues. Depends....

Hello Csba:

If you are not running memory hungry apps you will be alright with 2GB; however if you do; I will advise you to have atleast 4 GB of ram ..... I am running Win7x64 with 3GB on my notebook (C2D 2Ghz) & with 6GB on my desktop (C2Q 8400)..... and I'd say more ram does make very HUGE difference ....

i would ask what the time frame is on which he will upgrade the RAM. if you don't upgrade for the next 5-6 years you need at least 6 gigs. if only the nest 3-4 then 4 would be good.

I finished installing Windows 7 and it has been working pretty good. However, every once in a while the computer crashes with a blue screen that says crash dump memory. It goes by so fast I can't really see what it says. Could this be due to the fact that I only have 2gb of RAM? It usually happens when I'm trying to multi-task or run a game.

IMHO trying to run Windows 7 pro with only 2 GB of ram is a waste of time.
Go and try again with 3GB minimum.

IMHO trying to run Windows 7 pro with only 2 GB of ram is a waste of time.
Go and try again with 3GB minimum.

I purchased some more RAM, but it's going to take a couple days for it to ship. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

I'm new to Windows 7 (professional 64bit), but I know you need minimum 4GB ram to run 64 bit Windows.
You also need to make sure your apps will work with 64bit. Also, you say you purchased 64 bit version? When I installed, I was prompted whether I wanted 32 or 64 bit.

4GB! Damn!.....So much for resource efficiency!

You don't need minimum 4Gig. That's nonsense. I only have 3Gig and my system runs just fine. After I added a cheap 4Gig USB key to work with ReadyBoost it's even better.

But yes compatibility is an issue here. While most of the 32bit apps will run just fine, due to awesome compatibility abilities of the Win7, some are just made to run on 32Bit.

No, when you look system requirements from microsoft web site. It says with win7 32 Bit you need 1GB RAM and with win7 64 Bit all your need min 2GB. You can check from the site, too. See you.

Lets Be Realistic

Microsoft also says you need a minimum of 64MB to run XP:D, but 128MB is recommended. I have never seen an XP computer run satisfactorly with 128MB of RAM.
I won't install it on anything less than 512MB.
Personally I believe csba09 should put as much RAM in there as he can afford, I would

No, when you look system requirements from microsoft web site. It says with win7 32 Bit you need 1GB RAM and with win7 64 Bit all your need min 2GB..

I must have caused some confusion here. When I look for requirements, Microsoft is the last place I look to. I need to make sure I know what my applications require, that's why I mentioned 4Gb-it's what I need, minimum. Also with a 64bit o/s, unless you have at least 3GB, you're not really going to notice much of a difference between 32bit and 64bit. I should also point tou that the requirements posted by Microsoft won't mean much once the average user begins to load their PC with resource hogging programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back