Can ISP's always be trusted?

rogerthat69

Hi,
I am connected to an ISP by their cable(in the wall). Using their modem with Windows firewall but is sure my browser is somehow "hijacked" or at least sometimes maneuvered by a third person. Typically there are execution-clicks in webb-sites. Just I front of my eyes someone is taking actions before me! I am pretty sure it is not resident running scripts I.e. More like someone is looking over my shoulder using my keybord.

My question is not really about other external hijacking. Is it possible for an ISP to penetrate my system or rephrased, is it easier for ISP-personell compared to outsiders?

My question is not about motives, just plain tech.

My best,

Somehow this post landed here at the hardware-topic!! Should have been a "Networking"-post. Sorry for that! Anyway I would be grateful for every comment.

//

Well, of cource I know they should be, and generally they are and have to be, trusted. I just asked a question if an ISP have a technical advantage to get inside a computer. Nevermind the purpose.

But if you insist. Let´s say the authorities want to access a computer. A criminal, a suspect terrorist or whatever. How could an ISP assist?

If you're that concerned about it, why not locate the "allow remote access" setting & make sure it is (UN) ticked. I don't think that will stop a malware/virus infection, but its a start. :)

The thing with an ISP is they are a group not just one person. The group would have to be all villians, to sneak one over on you. Your connection is probably closely monitored and serviced by someone different each time, making it impossible for just one person to take advantage in any way.

If you're that concerned about it, why not locate the "allow remote access" setting & make sure it is (UN) ticked. I don't think that will stop a malware/virus infection, but its a start. :)

The thing is I have had strange problems(compromized?)in my firewall for some time before I re-installed my OS, Win 8.1. I always keep remote access un-ticked but even so Remote Desktop keept up being allowed by the firewall. Since re-installing that is not a problem anymore....but when checking Windows-log Terminal Services-LocalSessionManager I find that a ActiveX(RDSAppXPlugin) is initiated everytime after a log in. But before this happens log says that a session named Remote Desktop Service is started. Same session is ended after my log out. All my Remote-services are inactived except of cource RPC(incl Locator).

Before and after re-installation(of march) there has been delayed response-times,(less today though), sometimes slow boot-ups and app-hangs(no blue screens). I suspected for a number of reasons that my computer has been run as a server(or managed)? In June Winrm(Win Remote Management) was runned on 2 occasions. The first resulted in an error but with activitytransfer(event-ID 254). The Winrm-service was running for 10 minutes only(enought time to implent scripts?). The service is/were set to start manually by me.

It looks like Windows(NTSystem) will Auto Configure WLAN when the Win 8.1 runs for the first time!

WMI-Activity logs show daily errors(event 5858). Component=Unknown. Action by Wbem results in Process=Unknown. This, I think, has to do with Scripting(API). Maybe errors are related to defence against something unknown? Win PowerShell and Internet Explorer are today uninstalled by me. PowerShell have been started 8 times without me knowing. 2 times access was denied.

Log NetworkProfile tells that I have been connected to both an indentified and un-indentified network almost every day. Maybe this is a normal process when connecting?

When looking into logs due to different kind of problems and errors it is easy to get paranoid. Often though errors can be traced to normal proceedings like shutting down services(like WI-FI or Bluetooth).

(I have no local network by the way).

The thing with an ISP is they are a group not just one person. The group would have to be all villians, to sneak one over on you. Your connection is probably closely monitored and serviced by someone different each time, making it impossible for just one person to take advantage in any way.

Probably true but I look for a collective ISP-action. Not on a individual basis. Anyway, I am interested in tech-possibilities, not a logical explanation.

Thanks for Your concern,

I'm going to assume that it is possibly easier for a ISP employee to get into your network. They would logically know necessary information to start off with and could even social-engineer their backdoor into your system by claiming it to be part of the ISP services.

I, however, don't think they would do this.

I'm going to assume that it is possibly easier for a ISP employee to get into your network. They would logically know necessary information to start off with and could even social-engineer their backdoor into your system by claiming it to be part of the ISP services.

I, however, don't think they would do this.

Yes.
I am certain an ISP I.e knows which web-sites I have visited. That is of cource possible without entering my system. But what is the real difference between their server and one server in "cyberspace"? Theoretically there should not be a difference in terms of firewall-protection, I hope!
When you install your OS(connected to MS) you are unprotected on a machine-level(without a hardware-firewall), I think.

Anyway I will post above mentioned "remote-access"- questions under the OS-topics.

Back