TechSpot

Can my computer handle the Radeon HD 7750?

By Vasko111
Jan 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello to all, my PC is old and not good I know, but I want to buy better video card and I need your help because I don't know much about computers. I want to buy Radeon HD 7750.
    I have:
    Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
    CPU: DualCore Intel Pentium D 940, 3200MHz
    2 GB RAM
    PSU total output is 400w max

So can my PC handle Radeon HD 7750 or I should buy a new one?

2. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 424   +38

Being one of the Lowest Card in midrange the 7750 and having a Dual core intel pentium D 940 it should be able to run perfectly even though ur motherboard only supports pci-e

3. Vasko111

Vasko111 TS Rookie Topic Starter

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

What do you wanna do with it? Yeah, your CPU is old, so it'll prob be bottlenecking mid-high-end graphics cards.

5. Vasko111

I play games, and I need good video card. And I don't know if my PC can use 100% of that video card speed and preformance because is old.

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Well, here is the review. What resolution do you play at? I think that maybe you will get away with your dual-core, because it's got a healthy 3.2GHz on it.. not too bad.

7. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 424   +38

First of all the Motherboard and pc will be fully operating the graphics card if theres a bottleneck on the 7750 it will be really minor probably un noticiable second of all upgrade that ram from 2 gigs to 4 gigs dont expect for this card to do u wonders if ur gonna play on 1080p but let me asure u if u play at 720p u will get some decent frames + quality out of it

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

9. Vasko111

I play Dota 2 and with my current video card GeForce 9400 GT its not going good . I set everything on low and rendering minimum , and still every 3-4 seconds when I play my screen freezes for like 0.2-0.3 seconds. Its not going good , and I can't play it like that. By the way I play on resolution 1280x1024. That is why I want to buy Radeon HD 7750, its good for the money. I am worried if my PC can't use that video card maximum speed and preformance, so I still can't decide to buy it or not :p

10. phillipnolan

phillipnolan TS Member Posts: 19

Without considering the video card; Per this page you are at the minimum requirements for the game. You are well below the recommended specs.

I suspect that you would be dissatisfied with the performance even after adding the video card. Suggest you build or buy a new PC with these specs as recommended on the linked page:

* Processor: Intel Pentium G630 2.70GHz ( I would suggest an i5 instead )
    * Memory: 4GB DDR3 ( I would recommend a minimum of 8GB -- Windows 7 performs better with 8GB )
    * Graphics: AMD Radeon HD7750 GDDR5

Happy gaming.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

No wonder! The GT-9400 is less potent than the integrated graphics in the new Intel "Ivy Bridge" CPUs. Most notably the CPUs with the HD-4000 IGP.

I don't see a reason not to buy the graphics card, and give it a shot. Hey, if it doesn't work out, you've got one less part to buy for your next build.

Your LGA-775 945 chipset board is ancient history. Possibly your PSU as well. IDK whether or not the new video card will over tax it. The Pentium D processors are power hounds, in and of themselves. With an old PSU, one of those, and a new graphics card, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So, my best advice, try the card, but replace your PSU right along with it.

Well, the Pentium D he has, is a bit punchier than the minimum recommended P-4 they're showing. His current video card is a turd, plain and simple.

This isn't a terribly high spec game, so a new graphics card, along with a PSU might keep him happy for a while.

The memory issue, can't be resolved without a 64 bit OS, so there's no point in worrying about it, or buying a copy of Win 7 or 8, to stuff in a PC this old.

Try it, abide with it, save for a new PC. In that order.

Plan on transferring any parts you buy from now on, to the new machine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.