Can my M57SLI-S4 motherboard use a 7750 kuma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

Would my Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-s4 rev. 2 motherboard support a 7750 kuma and if so would I be able to overclock it or is the motherboard to bad? I did not see the 7750 kuma on the motherboards compatibility chart but a lot of am2+ and some am3 quad and tri cores are there. Would the 7750 kuma black edition be a large improvement over my current CPU which is an athlon 5600+ x2 with 2mbs of l2 cache instead of 1mb?

Will there be any new CPU's or large price changes in components in the next month or so?

Here is the motherboards CPU compatibility chart if it helps and the am2+ stuff is at the bottom.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2539

That's not even worth the upgrade. a 2.8 GHz dual core to a 2.7 GHz dual core with a few small differences? No way.

But isnt the kuma extremely overclackable? A lot of places say its faster at stock clocks than an athlon 6000+ at frequencies higher than 3ghz.

Amd x2 6000 or amd x2 7750 kuma which one is better?

The 7750 has a slower clock speed because its a K10(Phenom) chip and is faster clock for clock than the older K8(Athlon, Sempron, Athlon X2). At stock they perform about identical to each other, however the 7750 will pull ahead when overclocking.

I think i can get a cheap heatsink like this and overclock it past 3ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

Do not bother. Go for an AMD Callisto CPU later when it releases. Oodles better than a broken Phenom CPU, and you would probably be able to OC it to 4GHz with a decent air cooler.

I also want to know!

I am wondering the same thing... did anyone ever figure out an answer to this?

I'm upgrading from an athlon XP 3800+ (yes single core) and the 7750 is the best bang for the buck if it is compatible with this mobo. The motherboard manufacturer's site doesnt list it, but a cached version of the same page in google does list the 7750!

heres a link to another thread I started with further info on the research ive done in to this, including the links to the cpu compatibility list and the cached one:

CANT POST LINKS

The other thread's name is: MOBO & CPU (GA-M57SLI & 7750) compatibility & question

there is further info there, as well as what to google to pull up the gigabype cpu compabitlity charts (cached and recent ones) since I cant post links yet apparently.

Gigabyte has officially updated their CPU Compatibility Chart to reflect that the 7750 KUMA does, in fact, work with the GA-M57SLI now, with a new bios update (FHH). I bought a 6000+ w/ 2MB of L2 cache @89watts though so this is not useful for me anymore, but anyone else looking to upgrade this board might find this information useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back