Can mystring=(80000000) speed up PC?

Giwrgos

Hey all, i have seen around the internet that if you open a notepad and type in mystring=(80000000) and save it as ram.vbe or ram.vbs it will speed up your pc.It this true?And why does it happen?Does it have any negative effects?

Well, this post https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8386.html post#9 makes a good shot at describing what that vbs statement does, and how to use it.

Why you might need it is an entirely different question. It does not do what you appear to think it does 'speed up your PC'. It helps regain real memory for applications which have become short of memory due to a memory leak in another application running at the same time. A program with a memory leak will eventually occupy far more real memory than it 'ought' to and will slow things down by causing other programs to page out to the memory cache on disk, which is 1000 times slower than memory.

If you don't follow me there, think like this : "I am extremely unlikely to be using a program that has a memory leak. Since that is the only circumstances in which the mystring thingy can help, it is pointless for me."

Does it work for you? Can you detect a difference?
It may appear to be speeding things up, but it means you have problems of a different horse.

Hey thanks for telling me what it does but how will i know if a programs has a memory leak?

The only symptom you are likely to see is a gross slowing down, followed by a lock-up. I personally, have only ever seen it on a server. The processor utilisation went from 0-1% to a 40-60%, and all the users started to scream. It was definitely a memory leak, as the subsequent memory dump showed. The server had to be rebooted to cure the problem.

99.9% of the time, programs do not have memory leaks. The only kind of defragging that is noticeable, is useful, and does work well is defragging your hard drive.

Back