TechSpot

Can Optiplex 745 support Radeon HD 6870

By davea
Nov 30, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Can I make this video card work with a Dell 745 MiniTower? Not a gaming PC, three screen support is essential.
    AMD lists 500W as the minimum wattage for this card. Could you suggest a PSU upgrade to make this work?

chasis dimensions -
    Height 41.4 cm (16.3 inches)
    Width 18.5 cm (7.3 inches)
    Depth 43.8 cm (17.3 inches)
    Weight 12.34 kg (27.2 lb)
    Volume 33 Liters

Temperature Operating 10° to 35°C (50° to 95°F)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Putting the card in a mini-tower PC may be tricky... I have a Mid-Tower case and the hard drive bay is movable, to accommodate the "long" video cards. Get the video cards measurements and apply them to the inside case, where the PCI-e card slots are. Keep in mind that you will need to take up 2 card slots for 1 video card. If the mini-tower case has a standard ATX power supply any good brand (Antec, Corsair) 500 watt or better power supply will work

3. davea

davea TS Rookie Topic Starter

I still haven't made the internal measurements check. I'll let you know if it looks OK.
    I found a PSU frm our preferred vendor, not too pricey, I'll probably go with this one. It meets the minimum wattage and it has two 6 pin PCI Express power connectors.

Antec EarthWatts EA 500 - power supply - 500 Watt Mfg. Part: EA500 | CDW Part: 1304117 | UNSPSC: 39121004

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Sounds good,
    usually the long video cards interfere with the hard drive bays, but I don't have much experience with the mini-tower cases

5. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,225

May be best to buy a 6850, they are smaller.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.