Can portable program (not installed) be added to "Open With" list in Explorer

Debbie23

I'm trying to run KM Player 3.1.0.0_R2 in portable mode (no install) in Vista x64 and save preferences in KMPCfg.ini. Just extracting the KMP installer files to a folder allows it to play files just fine, if open them from KMP UI.

I want to open files from Explorer folders, by R clicking & selecting "Open With." Without installing KMP, of course it's not on the list of programs. NOR will it PUT KMP on the list if I browse to it's folder & the .exe file (even if check, "Always use this program to open this kind of file." I suppose the reason KMP doesn't show up in the "Open With" list (and won't let me add it) is because necessary registry entries weren't created by installing it.

Same thing happened when I tried associating a file type w/ KMP (like .wmv), through Control Panel. It wouldn't change the association when I browsed to the executable.

I used the utility OpenWithAdd utility to supposedly register KMP to show up in the Open With list. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm
It actually added a KMP registry entry for .WMV files in
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-350893743-1272961675-1415102724-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmv\OpenWithProgids\\KMPlayer.wmv. It looks exactly like the other media player entries under this key.
But, I guess it still doesn't show up on the Open With list because there aren't any other registry entries w/ KMP's executable's path.

Any ideas how to be able to open files from Explorer w/o actually installing a prgm like this?

Well, no gurus? Maybe can add a portable app to "open with" context (dunno), but you can add it to the "Send To" context, then use that when R click files in explorer.

Copy or drag icon you want to the user's Send To folder under the user's acct. It'll be there when you want to send select files to the app.

Have you been waiting since Jan 28, 2012 for an answer? If so, my only suggestion is try updating the program.

Back