TechSpot

Can see flash drive, but unable to access

By ziggym
Jan 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,

HELP! I did read the Flash drive recovery post and it's not looking good for me but would like some input if anyone can help....

The issue: Using a 8gb USB flash drive and I'm unable to access the files. I am able to see it as a removable device - however the name is now "removable device" as opposed to the actual name - I can see in the properties the storage capacity and what is left - but it says "this folder is empty"?

Did I somehow screw this thing up? Is there a way to get my files back?

I get the same result when I plug it into any computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    z

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 547

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

Keep in mind that if you format the drive, you will lose any files on it.

4. ramblingpariah

ramblingpariah TS Rookie

Same

I've got a 32gb Sony Microvault, doing all the same. I've tried HP's utilities, Sandisk, Partition Assistant...the list goes on and on. Windows 7 (ultimate 64, if it helps) sees the drive, but even with admin privileges, I can't do anything to the drive - it seems like it lost its partition, but there's nothing I can do to get it back. "Can't open volume for direct access." I don't even care about the files on it, I'd just like to get more than a month of use out of my little drive.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.