Can some one please help me on my homework for geometry

Grr_San_jose_Ca

ok im struggiling i have a 70% in that class so can any one help me on these word problems

1 a rectangle has a lenght of 2x + 6 a width of 3x-4 where x is a distance in feet if x represents 5 feet find the pperimeter and area of the rectangle

2 A equilateral triangle has lenghts of 2x^2+5x+3 and a height of 4x + 1 where x is a distance in feet if x represents 1.5 feet find the perimeter and area of the triangle

maths! how i loath it :D

heres a clue:
write those eqations down. Substitute the x with the number and find your results (2 x 5 + 6) = width etc. work down the page.
eg: 2a + 1 (a =4)
= 2 x 4 +1
= 9

Perimeter for a rectangle = (side 1 + side 2) x 2
Perimeter for any other shape is just side 1 + side 2 + side 3 etc.
area of a rectangle = side 1 x side 2
area of a triangle= base x hieght / 2

I'm pretty sure you know all these things :) just need to get your head around it.

Wouldn't the answer to question one be 54?

If x = 5 then

2(5)+6=16 (two sides = 32)
3(5)-4=11 (two sides = 22)

22+32=54ft perimeter

1. Perimiter is 54'
2. Perimeter is 45' Area is 52.5'

1. Substitute 5 for x. Multiply length by 2 and width by 2 (since there are 2 lengths and 2 widths) and then add those together.

2a. Substitute 1.5 for x and multiply by 3 since there are 3 equal length sides.
2b. Formula for area of equlateral triangle is A= (side*sqrt(3))/4 OR you can do it the other way since you were given height and use A = .5(base*height).

Its really just a matter of writing those equations just like you did except putting the value of x in rather than writing x. Then just punch that in the calculator (but the numbers are small enough you should be able to do it in your head).

sw123 said:
Techspot does not help people with there homework. Sorry :(
I don't think its too big of a deal in this case since its only 2 problems, I doubt thats the entire homework assignment. If it is I am a bit more concerned for our future all the sudden.

Its not like he was asking how to get Office and Windows XP for free :)

Wow, you have easy geometry, I wish mine was that easy. I'm taking an advanced accelerated class and it's no fun.

Thanks guys especially sngx1275 you cleared all that up for me man my teacher hes so........lets just say not right i mean like he says do it this way and then he shows us like 4 other ways and we get the same answer so i get really confused about what hes trying to tell me sometimes you know?

yeh.. thats maths teachers for ya..

just remember.. if there's anything that looks like an equation, write it down. Sometimes theres need to use more than the one equation together to work out the answer.

Back