Can the Entry-Level Rig handle WoW on max?

NoTTaShoT

World of Warcraft at Max settings? Thoughts? Do you think it'll be able to handle Star Wars: The Old Republic at least med settings @ 60fps?

How often is the The Entry-Level Rig buying guide updated?

Thanks.

The entire guide is updated bi-weekly or shortly following major product launches. I uploaded the last update on August 19 and the next update will go live this week, but I don't anticipate any major changes. Just pricing updates etc.

I don't know enough about either game to offer anything conclusive, but considering WoW's age, I'd like to believe an HD 6770 could run it at max. I've run the game on a PCI Radeon 9200se (an entry-level card from the early 2000s). Generally speaking, MMOs scale very well and I'd expect the HD 6770 to handle SWTOR.

WoW at max on my system running 2x5850 cards drops below 60 fps at max settings when in a major city with hundreds of players standing around. Also in 25 man raid environments you might find the 6770 doesn't always maintain a perfect 60+ fps.

Depends what resolution you plan on playing at...
Check out http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,review-32102-12.html

At 1920x1080 with 8xAA the 460 GTX is at 60 fps. WoW over the expansions has gone through a few graphical upgrades.

Tomshardware have a good overview of all the different game settings:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793.html

The 6770 is pretty much a re-modeled 5770. You can see the 5770 doesn't quite hit 60 at 1280 x 1024 in this review. And a min of 42 fps. At 1920x1200 it has a max of 48 fps and min of 36. If you want max performance in WoW (depending on what resolution you will be playing at) then you might have to step up to the next level of graphics card.

As for "Will it handle a game that isn't out yet", your guess is as good as ours :)

You probably will be able to post it on quite high settings. It's when u walk into big cities with lots of people (and shadows) or in raids, when you might see a drop in FPS.

Not sure if you're still around since it's been a month but if you are and haven't made a purchase yet I recommend you stick with Nvidia. While I love AMD, Blizzard games tend to drastically favor Nvidia cards and if you are a WoW player investing with them makes more sense and the GTX 460 being a prime choice as Arris demonstrates.

Back