Can the same computer have USB1 and USB2?

Musicalls

Hi, Im obviously not understanding this.

Is there a way to tell if some ports on your computer tower only have USB1 and which have USB2, or is it an either/or situation where its one or the other. Im sure my Mums computer's USB ports tranfer at different speeds and I always forget which one is which. I tried all manner of things like going through devices and such, but nothing. All I see is just a general driver for USB2. The only other thing I can think of is doing a test of transferring some info off of a thumb drive or something and compare times.

Thanks for any comments.

Joanne

A computer can have both usb 1 and 2 ports, but typically all of the ports next to each other will be the same. By that, I mean that all the of ports on the back would be the same and all of the ports on the front would be the same.

You might find it interesting/helpful to have a look [post=1005182]HERE[/post] (and through that thread) for a discussion about
> An overview of USB ( and USB1.1 vs USB2.0) and
> Also learn to use Device Manager to view Devices by Connection so you can see if a USB device and port gets connected to a USB1.1 vs USB2.0 controller (that connection can change each time you replug or re-power the USB device)

Also note the routing from device port to controller is dynamic (meaning it;s done at the time you plug the device in). I think some earlier computers limited front or back port routing to USB1.1 vs USB2 but certainly not always that case these days (where both and front and back ports may be routed to either)

Thankyou guys for your prompt replies. That helps me to understand better. I will go check out the thread.

Joanne

EDIT ... I see I still have time : ) , WOW. Thats a great thread. WHy am I not surprised this a complex issue??? I dont confess to understanding it all, but for sure I now know how to spot a USB2 device in Device Manager, by going into "Devices by Connection" and opening the appropriate +'s.

Back