Can winxp home addition read 750G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hichael

drive C is telling me there is 697G free hard drive, when it supposed to be 747 (I bought 750G, lets say 3G for the Windows). I called the store and they convinced me that, windows XP home addition can not read 750G; it can only read 700G or less. Is that true? If not, how can I fix it by myself?

*sigh* If you just bothered to look around before asking the same question all over again..

All storage manufacturers simply lie. They "define" the measurement units (GB) differently to make their drives look bigger. Something like a sugar merchant saying that there are 15 ounces in a pound (or 900 grams in a kilogram) and telling you to STFU if you complain.

do the math

"Supports 48-bit addressing for large hard drives"

How big can you go?

48-bit addressing, Equals = 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes).

As you can see that's WAYYYYYYY bigger than any hard drive on the market today. 144,000,000 gigabytes, so you should have no problem with a 500 gigabyte.

"48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA)is a technology which extends the capacity of IDE ATA/ATAPI devices beyond a previous limit of 137.4 GB. This limit applies to IDE ATA/ATAPI devices only and not to SCSI interface devices. The original design specification for the ATA interface only provided 28-bits with which to address the devices. This meant that a hard disk could only have a maximum of 268,435,456 sectors of 512 bytes of data thus limiting the ATA interface to a maximum of 137.4 gigabytes. With 48-bit addressing the limit is 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back