TechSpot

Can XP mount network drives at login without domain controller?

By zynizen
Jan 12, 2009
  1. Is it possible to give windows xp clients that aren't connected to a domain controller the ability to have a login script to mount network drives?

I know on the domain if they are connected you can use netuse script but, I want to be able to modify a bunch of xp clients in an office to join a network share point without being connected to the domain.

thanks!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

My first thoughts - No
    Unless you want to Internet base them, like on a FTP Server or something ;)

3. zynizen

zynizen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Are you sure? I mean it seems like such a simple thing to do. What does the domain controller do to the windows box when it is working?

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I hope we are speaking about the same thing :confused:
    I'm talking about a Network Domain running from a Server environment (like Server 2003)
    Therefore I'm not sure

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Yes. You can make a .bat file with net use command(s). It should work with any Windows shares.

6. zynizen

zynizen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Ok where would I use the .bat file? in the startup items folder? so when the person logs into the computer it automatically connects? and what about the login and password of the network share, what would you do with that information?

thanks

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

The startup items directory is probably the easiest.

You enter the username and password in the net use command. Note that the password will be plain text there, so anyone who can read the file can see it.

Example:

net use s: \\servername\share /user:user userspassword

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.