Can you burn cds with a dvd burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

Just wondering. I've actually never installed a dvd burner on my pc, but I got a used one and I have a cd burner that's on the blink that I'd like to switch out. I also have a cd player installed, so I'd still be able to play cds. Anyway, just wondering if I can use the dvd burner to burn cds and dvds.

Yes, pretty sure. I have a Pioneer 20x DVD-RW and it plays, burns and erases all forms of CD and DVD. Even though it's called a DVD drive, it's really just a CD-ROM with DVD features added kinda thing.

Unless you've got some form of DVD only drive, which I sincerely doubt.

Depends on the burner software. Modern versions of RecordNow, Sonic, Nero, and CD Creator will burn both just fine. Older versions will not.

edit

Buying a new burner will come with the latest software.
Use what comes with it.Don't buy an OEM burner,

Other than the fact that an OEM burner does not come with Nero, CD Creator, or Record Now, I don't know of a reason not to buy OEM.
The Nero, CDCreator, RecordNow, PowerDVD, and other good programs are very inexpensive. I get mine for $3 to $12 depending on the version. I can list sites if you need them.

Thats my point

fullmetalvegan said:
Don't buy an OEM version? Why not? I bought my Pioneer as OEM and it came with Nero 8 and has been all sweet.

I bet your oem came in a box,or with an oem disc as well maybe.
Get one with a software cd included and use it.
In either case,that was my point.
Yours came with Nero 8 as my boxed set did.(LG)
Many are just the burner,so it's still worth posting .
The people who make burners recommend the right software.
Nero is the safest if your not sure though and burns both cd's and dvd's

I have Roxio. I'll have to get home and install the dvd player/burner and see if the Roxio will do it.

raybay said:
Other than the fact that an OEM burner does not come with Nero, CD Creator, or Record Now, I don't know of a reason not to buy OEM.

Seems you didn't understand me.

Apparently you're wrong cause I've always bought OEM versions and have always gotten software with it. It comes with no box, just a plain plastic pocket with the DVD drive, and the Nero 8 disc in a sleeve with it.

Apparently in Australia we're superior when it comes to OEM purchases. =P

Vista will burn data to CD's and DVD's without using additional software... Vista will format and burn at the same time, both CD's and DVD's. I do use Alcohol 120% and DVD Decrypter. Also, I really believe all DVD burners are CD burners too.

...and fullmetalvegan, here in the US, OEM means just the drive... no software, unless they just happen to throw it in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back