Can you burn out an onboard audio port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I think I killed the Rear Audio jack on my motherboard.

A week ago, I ran a 25' cable from the Rear audio port of my motherboard (Realtek audio) to the stereo behind me for Surround Sound. Worked great for a week, but today it is dead (all other speakers still work fine).

I tried testing with another OS, and same thing. Other speakers play fine. Rear Audio port dead. Checked the cables, checked the speakers. All okay.

Q: Did I kill my Rear Audio jack by using too long a wire? Is there a sound card I can purchase that wouldn't be ruined by a 25' cable?

Solved: Kitty did it.

After a bit of inspection, I discovered Kitty chewed through BOTH speaker wires.

Never mind. :)

Well, thanks for that update though.. it's always fun to hear the wide array of different possible problem sources!

I have not posted in this forum in, well, forever.

It is possible for an onboard audio to go bad, however, I do not believe I would have guessed a cat to through into the diagnostic mix.

In the future it may be important for me to ask people with computer problems if they have children, dogs, mice, cats, or squirrels in the house.

Cats or children are famous for all kinds of computer problems, such as, "my keyboard does not work any longer" and later the person mentions that a child or cat knocked a bottle of Coke over and the keyboard got soaked.

Thank you for the cat notice.

Well, having read this thread I can share a little story which is bit similar to this one.

Once upon a time (during the last century) :(, one day my ex-boss called me on a Saturday afternoon that his computer turns on fine, but keyboard and and mouse aren't working for some reasons; and asked whether I could come to his home and see (which I promptly refused, because I never liked him), anyway, after couple of calls he decided to drive all the way to my home and pick me up, so I couldn't really refuse, and went to see what is the issue, first thing I noticed after turning on the PC that none of the keyboard lights work (i.e. numlock, caps lock etc.).

So I checked on the connectors, while doing so I noticed that the cables for mouse and keyboard was cleanly cut with scissors (probably). So I showed him the problem.

Long story short, it turned out he had some sort of argument with his wife; who apparently out of rage or whatever, decided to cut the cables :evil:

I guess, on the basis of that we should add this sort of situation in the mix as well for troubleshooting reasons :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back