Can you hook 2 routers to 1 dsl modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am in a 2 office complex. My office has a Linksys router and computer which is connected (via ethernet cables ) to DVR for recording surveillance cameras. I connect to the second office's router, a D-link and go out to the internet on his DSL via a wireless d-link usb.

What I want to do is view cameras from my home. But I have been told that before I can portforward, the router connected to the DVR has to have access to the 'net.

I can't run a cable from his router to mine. Is there any way for my router to access his modem and get on line? He willingly lets me hook up to his DSL via the wireless USB d-link, but I can't run a cable to his router. I have been told that I can't portforward through the usb wireless, that the actual DVR router has to have access out.

I really don't know much about portforwarding, except what I have read--no practical knowledge.

Can anyone offer a solution? Thanks

Just leave one router connected the the modem and connect the two routers together. There should be on-line instructions available on just how to do this

As just mentioned, you only keep one "router" on your network.

Specifically, only one device on your network should perform the routing function. So look in those instructions to see if you can and how to turn off the routing function in your other routers. Then they simply perform as a "bridge" which is i think what you want. (you can also see here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back