TechSpot

Can you label clear Cdrs?

By Amigosdefox
Feb 24, 2002
  1. I just brought a pack of 100 cdrs but I didnt notice that they were clear when I brought them, (no painted side to label). Im just wondering if you can use an oil marker to label these cds.

2. cabrone

cabrone TS Rookie Posts: 153

i have these cds as well, and i use sharpie marker on it. Some markers dont stay on the surface so your real problem will be finding a marker that doesnt smear

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I would also say wait until after you burn the CD to mark on it. I don't know if this makes a difference, but it might!

4. Amigosdefox

Amigosdefox TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 98   +10

thanks for the replies.

5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

I think you can use a permanent marker. I always like the black colour blended together red colour on my Imation CD-RS.

6. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

You could also try a sticker type nametag on them and draw on them.

7. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

Absolutely no problem... (Or I'd have noticed it by now ;))

Just use an overhead projection marker which should be available in most (if not all) bookstores/drugstores....

As for writing before burning, I haven't noticed any problems with it.... (And the cd's I use are more transparent than not...)

8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Cool, I am glad to hear that it doesn't matter if you write before hand or not. I didn't know, but i have been wondering for a while.

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,682   +393

what happens if you write in marker on the bottom of the disk i.e. the part that the laser shines through? I've been wondering about that, I figure it might not matter if the marker you use is translucent. I might give it a shot with a disk that I don't much care for and post back with results incase anyone was curious.

10. Tawhid 1

Tawhid 1 TS Rookie Posts: 50

buy a CDR printer software & print lebel.

11. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,543   +231

Stick with major labels

http://music.cnet.com/music/0-1566074-8-6883119-3.html

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

That depends on the drive you're reading, some drives are more sensitive to errors than others.

13. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

i always, and i mean always, use a waterproof permanent marker number 313 made by staedtler. i believe these are intended, amongst other uses, to make permanent markers on the asetate sheets used for overhead projectors. The pen has a very fine nib, and does not scratch the CD. It dries more or less instantly, but I always wait around 1 to 2 minutes before inserting the CD back into the drive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.