TechSpot

Can you label clear Cdrs?

By Amigosdefox
Feb 24, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just brought a pack of 100 cdrs but I didnt notice that they were clear when I brought them, (no painted side to label). Im just wondering if you can use an oil marker to label these cds.
  2. cabrone

cabrone TS Rookie Posts: 166

i have these cds as well, and i use sharpie marker on it. Some markers dont stay on the surface so your real problem will be finding a marker that doesnt smear
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I would also say wait until after you burn the CD to mark on it. I don't know if this makes a difference, but it might!
  4. Amigosdefox

Amigosdefox TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 121   +10

thanks for the replies.
  5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

I think you can use a permanent marker. I always like the black colour blended together red colour on my Imation CD-RS.
  6. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

You could also try a sticker type nametag on them and draw on them.
  7. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Absolutely no problem... (Or I'd have noticed it by now ;))

Just use an overhead projection marker which should be available in most (if not all) bookstores/drugstores....

As for writing before burning, I haven't noticed any problems with it.... (And the cd's I use are more transparent than not...)
  8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Cool, I am glad to hear that it doesn't matter if you write before hand or not. I didn't know, but i have been wondering for a while.
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,531   +301

what happens if you write in marker on the bottom of the disk i.e. the part that the laser shines through? I've been wondering about that, I figure it might not matter if the marker you use is translucent. I might give it a shot with a disk that I don't much care for and post back with results incase anyone was curious.
  10. Tawhid 1

Tawhid 1 TS Rookie Posts: 59

buy a CDR printer software & print lebel.
  11. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,551   +97

Stick with major labels

http://music.cnet.com/music/0-1566074-8-6883119-3.html

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That depends on the drive you're reading, some drives are more sensitive to errors than others.
  13. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

i always, and i mean always, use a waterproof permanent marker number 313 made by staedtler. i believe these are intended, amongst other uses, to make permanent markers on the asetate sheets used for overhead projectors. The pen has a very fine nib, and does not scratch the CD. It dries more or less instantly, but I always wait around 1 to 2 minutes before inserting the CD back into the drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.