TechSpot

Can you link a wireless router to a wireless router

By kbos2hm
Aug 5, 2009
  1. this is what i want to do i have a bt router on one of my floors but my signal dosent reach my computers on the top floor so i was thinking of buying a second wireless router and linking that one by cable would that work or would it be better getting a more stronger router with a better strenth ive looked on the net but im kinda lost on what to do

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

yes that works -- here's how

• connect cable from existing router#1 to the LAN side of router#2
      this will make router#1 the controller of all IP addresses AND allow sharing between all system regardless of which router they connect to.

• configure router#2
      this is done with a cable connection to it. Use the routers default ip address in your browser and supply the default user/pwd
      1. disable DHCP service in this router
      2. set router#2 address to be just like router#1 but change the last digit to 250
      3. set the SSID to be similar to the existing router (eg add a number to its name)
      4. change the channel number to be different from router#1
      5. (temporarily) disable encryption
      6. save the settings which will restart the router and drop this connection
    you can disconnect the cable from router#2

Turn off (or disconnect) all systems from both routers.
    power off router#2, wait 30 seconds and then restart it

At this point router#1 will be at xxx.yyy.zzz.1 and router#2 at xxx.yyy.zzz.250

Connect to either router (wired or otherwise) and you should be able to
    (run->cmd) enter
    ping xxx.yyy.zzz.1
    ping xxx.yyy.zzz.250​
    Your connected system will have an address seen by
    ipconfig /all​

Once you can connect to both routers, you should go back to the configuration (in both with a cabled connection) and enable encryption.
    Make your life simple, set both routers to the same type of encryption (in this order of preference)
    {WPA2,WPA} and use the same passphrase for both.

you really should also change the ADMIN login (on both)
    save the settings and disconnect the cable.

Print/File sharing is managed elsewhere.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.