Can you partitioned a hard drive, for downloading files that maybe virus infected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you do this, so it does not effect other drives in your computer? twice this week, I had to perform a clean system install. I had some virus which prevented my anti-virus, from working.

If the partitioned drive is effected, will it effect other drives?

Can someone plz, let me the reason why you can partitioned?

Is what you are asking:

Is it a good idea to have a dedicated partition for downloading files only, a sort of quaranteen, if you like?

????

If so, then....

Yeah. I guess so.

I have a dedicated downloads area on my machine(s) yes.

Phantasm66, can you plz, explain to me what you have and how you got it?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Is what you are asking:

Is it a good idea to have a dedicated partition for downloading files only, a sort of quaranteen, if you like?

????

If so, then....

Yeah. I guess so.

I have a dedicated downloads area on my machine(s) yes.

Yes, I am referring to a partition that is just for downloading things, like kazaa, so it does not effect my main work area? I never really thought about this, until two clean windows xp install, a few days ago.

If you open an infected file & the virus get loaded in memory, it will probably look for system files & infect them, no matter what partition they are on.

Just keep your Anti-Virus up to date & always scan the files you download before opening them. If you follow these tips, you should be fine.

PS. There's no need for a double thread.

A separate pertition is still good.

You can clean the Windows partition and then manually get rid of bad stuff on the storage partition - no memory resident executables there.

Plus, most downloading programs don't do file preallocation and downloading many things at a time will give you a very fragmented partition. And you don't want to slow down your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back