Can you really send your keyboard through your dishwasher?

treetops

I read one of my college books last year that you can, I recently spilled some soda on my keyboard and now some keys are super stuck. I want to run this keyboard through but im scared lol.

uh ... o_o

I would say no, since any IC chips would burst open. Most keyboards (*most*) don't have any capacitors, but the IC chip(s) would surely die. lol

Besides, you would almost have to take it apart to get it entirely dry so you might as well disassemble the keyboard to just clean it by hand.

xD lol

well if its a cheap keyboard then give it a try xD
sticky keyboard = disassemble and clean or better buy new one

If you have a few keys sticking, you can prise them up, wash them in normal detergent, let them dry overnight, then plug them back in. But I wouldn't get any of the base part in any water.

This keyboard is like 2 months old, sigh after you take off the buttons once its just not the same.

I think it would work, but I wouldn't run it through with detergent in there. Or if you thought it really needed detergent, then only use a little. After it is done I'd sacrifice a gallon or 2 of distilled water to really pour into it and shake out. Its not the water that kills electronics, its the water contacting other things that dissolve in it and make the water conductive. After thoroughly rinsing it I'd set it in the back window of a car for a day. Alternatively, if your oven has a temperature setting below 200F you could just bake it for a couple hours (checking on it often, the plastic should hold up as long as you keep the temp pretty low).

Dishwasher is for casuals.

Everyone knows a full cycle in a washing machine is the best way to get your keyboard squeaky clean.

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home.

yes and no. depends on the keyboard. I have seen youtube videos for cleaning keyboards that people spilled drinks on. I had an unfortunate incident last year where I spilled soda on a keyboard. I tried to repair it, but ultimately it never did work right. In the end it was a waste of time. keyboards are pretty cheap and even cheaper if you get them from a salvage store. Some even give them away free.

Back