Can you really send your keyboard through your dishwasher?

By treetops
Nov 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I read one of my college books last year that you can, I recently spilled some soda on my keyboard and now some keys are super stuck. I want to run this keyboard through but im scared lol.
  2. EDO219

EDO219 Newcomer, in training Posts: 298

uh ... o_o

I would say no, since any IC chips would burst open. Most keyboards (*most*) don't have any capacitors, but the IC chip(s) would surely die. lol

Besides, you would almost have to take it apart to get it entirely dry so you might as well disassemble the keyboard to just clean it by hand.
  3. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TechSpot Member Posts: 96   +9

xD lol

well if its a cheap keyboard then give it a try xD
    sticky keyboard = disassemble and clean or better buy new one
  4. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,033   +15

If you have a few keys sticking, you can prise them up, wash them in normal detergent, let them dry overnight, then plug them back in. But I wouldn't get any of the base part in any water.
  5. Dr. Vader

Dr. Vader Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,281   +153

Wow. thanks for that link. I never woulda thunk it!

There's no "Dishwasher Safe" label on my keyboard. :D But as you state, it can't hurt as last resort!
  7. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,570   +41

This keyboard is like 2 months old, sigh after you take off the buttons once its just not the same.
  8. EDO219

Run it through the dishwasher for science! ;D
  9. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,281   +153

You never forget your very first love.........

Or is it "Love means never having to say you're sorry for removing their buttons?" :p
  10. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,570   +41

heh actually lol at this
  11. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

Tried it, fried it. bye g15, hello new keyboard.
  12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +215

I think it would work, but I wouldn't run it through with detergent in there. Or if you thought it really needed detergent, then only use a little. After it is done I'd sacrifice a gallon or 2 of distilled water to really pour into it and shake out. Its not the water that kills electronics, its the water contacting other things that dissolve in it and make the water conductive. After thoroughly rinsing it I'd set it in the back window of a car for a day. Alternatively, if your oven has a temperature setting below 200F you could just bake it for a couple hours (checking on it often, the plastic should hold up as long as you keep the temp pretty low).
  13. EDO219

Putting capacitors and ICCs through a dish-washer is bad mkay.

14. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Dishwasher is for casuals.

Everyone knows a full cycle in a washing machine is the best way to get your keyboard squeaky clean.

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home.
  15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

yes and no. depends on the keyboard. I have seen youtube videos for cleaning keyboards that people spilled drinks on. I had an unfortunate incident last year where I spilled soda on a keyboard. I tried to repair it, but ultimately it never did work right. In the end it was a waste of time. keyboards are pretty cheap and even cheaper if you get them from a salvage store. Some even give them away free.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.