Can you replace your DDR video card with DDR2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I currently have an ATI Radeon X300 Series 128MB Video Card and I need to know if I can now replace it with a card thats DDR2?
This is my current video card specs taken from ATI Catalyst:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset RADEON X300 Series

Bus Type:pCI Express
Current Bus Setting:pCI Express

Memory Size 128 MB
Memory Type DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Core Clock in MHz 324 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 196 MHz

The card i'm thinking about getting is:
XFX GeForce 7300 GT / 512MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card

OR

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE / 256MB DDR2 / Supporting 512MB with Turbocache / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / OEM / Low Profile / Video Card

Would It work?

TMagic650 said:
In a word... YES

Are you sure you don't mean replacing an AGP with PCI-E? Because that would NOT work.

To expound just a bit on Tmagic's reply, here we go: all VRAM (that's video memory) is local to the card it is located on. Cards don't work like motherboards: with a motherboard, if you want to shoot up a DDR standard, you have to buy a motherboard with updated slots (DIMMs). With a graphics card, since all VRAM is actually on your new card, there is no need to upgrade anything: support is included on the card!

Let me get this straight:

RogueSpec has a PCI-e RADEON X300 Series card installed now, and he's not using on-board video. He wants to upgrade the PCI-e Radeon with a Nvidia PCI-e video card. Right?

This is what I said YES to

that would work fine :) i upgraded my card from DDR to GDDR3 so it'll be fine ;)

thebaronjocelin has explained it all really, not much more you need to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back