TechSpot

Can you replace your DDR video card with DDR2?

By RogueSpec
Oct 23, 2007
  1. Hi, I currently have an ATI Radeon X300 Series 128MB Video Card and I need to know if I can now replace it with a card thats DDR2?
    This is my current video card specs taken from ATI Catalyst:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
    Graphics Chipset RADEON X300 Series

Bus Type:pCI Express
    Current Bus Setting:pCI Express

Memory Size 128 MB
    Memory Type DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Core Clock in MHz 324 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 196 MHz

The card i'm thinking about getting is:
    XFX GeForce 7300 GT / 512MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card

OR

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE / 256MB DDR2 / Supporting 512MB with Turbocache / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / OEM / Low Profile / Video Card

Would It work?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

In a word... YES

3. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Posts: 196

Are you sure you don't mean replacing an AGP with PCI-E? Because that would NOT work.

To expound just a bit on Tmagic's reply, here we go: all VRAM (that's video memory) is local to the card it is located on. Cards don't work like motherboards: with a motherboard, if you want to shoot up a DDR standard, you have to buy a motherboard with updated slots (DIMMs). With a graphics card, since all VRAM is actually on your new card, there is no need to upgrade anything: support is included on the card!

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Let me get this straight:

RogueSpec has a PCI-e RADEON X300 Series card installed now, and he's not using on-board video. He wants to upgrade the PCI-e Radeon with a Nvidia PCI-e video card. Right?

This is what I said YES to

5. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

that would work fine :) i upgraded my card from DDR to GDDR3 so it'll be fine ;)

thebaronjocelin has explained it all really, not much more you need to know :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.