Cancer Research Distributed - Techspot Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Well - some have suggested we change our distributed effort from SETI to something closer to home.

SETI Thread

So our friend DigitAlex has created a team for us to work on Cancer research instead! Only downside is that I can't find any clients except Win32 ones. {Time to break out your WINE linux guys}

Here's the link to the team

Techspot Team

Here's a link to the client software

Distributed Cancer Client

Please join our effort

LNCPapa

- Post edited with the new grid.org links
Didou

wine_ud.png

i dont quite understand what the team is supposed to do, i would join if it was something i could do, or if i even knew WHAT it was...

That's it cabrone - you can disable the screensaver and it will still run in the background. You can minimize it with the button furthest right and if you right click the icon in systray after that you can close it completely. It also puts itself in startup so that it will launch on boot. Just check your CPU time if you want to make sure it's going. If you have a duallie it will only use half of your processor time (not SMP :( ).

LNCPapa

I noticed when this is running it uses 99% of cpu, is this bad if you leave it running all the time?

Not necessarily cabrone. Since you're using XP Pro you can just tune UD down to Low Priority. It will only use unused CPU cycles, so your machine's performance won't be touched :D

Im very interested in this, sorry for the multiple posts. So i notice i keep doing phase II over and over, when will the project ultimately be finished, or moved to a higher phase? does the team with the most points get something? Im sure this is on the FAQ of the page but id rahter here it from you guys.

About if this is good for your CPU or not:

Well, Imagine a car engine, when you drive short intervalls and lets it cool down inbetween that's when you have the most wear... What you want to do is drive as long stretches as possible to preserve the life of the car..

This complies to CPU's to, when they got hot and cool all the time they wear faster (worst case cenario is when you turn your computer off for the night!)

So if you run this program in the background it will use all unused clock cycles, meaning that if you start a program the performance will not be slowed down due to the client, it will only use the unused clock cyles then to...

This way your CPU will always keep a certain temperature, making it live longer... The same applies to the other components in your computer to like harddrives etc, but they are harder to preserve the life on... (don't turn off your comp is the best advice..)

I posted this on the SETI thread first however I'm posting here too for future reference:
Even though I have fully dedicated the past couple of weeks on completing SETI work units, I have now switched to the UD Cancer Research team and I would recommend most people to do so as well.

Though it's hard to put your efforts behind and start from zero on this new project, I would still recommend you to do so as we will be unifying forces once I start promoting the "Team TechSpot" on the site and it's much more likely it's going to be either UD or Folding but definitely not SETI.

And of course, you will also want to switch inmediately considering that we are a few weeks away from promoting the team officially and you won't want to run at the bottom of the charts :D

I just signed up and installed the software on a box that's often sitting there doing rather little....

Its not my best machine but it is a 1.1 GHz Duron with 256 MB so its not the end of the world.

I also joined the team, so now there should be 13.

:) :) :)

One thing that bothers me with UD is the inexistence of 3rd party tools.

With SETI, you could use applications like SETI Driver which gave you many options such as :

- Running two processes ( for Dual CPU rigs because SETI isn't multi-threaded )

- Logging results & analysis stats in an Exell file

- Caching work-units ( downloading more then one unit at a time allowing to crunch for the next five days without connecting for example )

If the UD server happens to be down for maintenance or anything of the such, you can't upload your results or download any new units. It doesn't happen very often but often enough to have a caching possibility.

The UD page is currently down that has the Techspot logon info. Anyone have these settings so I can sign up?

Originally posted by svtcobra
The UD page is currently down that has the Techspot logon info. Anyone have these settings so I can sign up?

Forget it.. Im in. I just did a search for the Techspot team from UD's homepage. We should be at 14 now.

Or this Link which shows all 15 members contributions even though my 8 hours hasn't been logged with the UD server yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back