'Candy Crush' maker King sees share value tumble 15 percent in market debut

Shawn Knight

Staff member

candy crush king king digital entertainment

King Digital Entertainment made its debut on the New York Stock Exchange this morning riding a wave of success generated by its popular mobile game Candy Crush. And although the act alone is a major win for the company, there’s still a long road ahead as others before it can attest to.

Jeffrey Sica of Sica Wealth Management said a lot of people were hoping for momentum off the open but that didn’t happen. King priced shares at $22.50 just ahead of the initial public offering yet as of writing, share value is down by more than 15 percent. The slow start no doubt reflects investor concern over the waning popularity of the firm’s hit franchise.

Hope Cochran, King’s chief financial officer, said that as they look at the trading today, they’re really focused on the long term. This is an exciting beginning, she noted, but they are a very long-term focused management team.

King’s offering was determined by multiplying projected sales of $2.62 billion by a factor of 2.7 which values the company at just over $7 billion. That’s actually on the lower side as Giant Interactive traded at 6.3 times their 2014 sales estimate, Zynga used a multiplier of 5.2 and Activision Blizzard traded at 3.2 times projected sales.

With any luck, King will have learned from the mistakes of others like Zynga that went into their IPO backed largely by a single franchise. The maker of Farmville started trading in December 2011 at $11 per share and has watched that value slide to $4.64 as they’ve been unable to find another hit as games have largely transitioned from social to mobile.

Permalink to story.

The company is a one-hit wonder with their only claim to fame being a game that nags users constantly to harass their friends and/or pay money to continue... What could possibly cause investors to question the stock valuation? :p

The problem with this company is that it is based upon a fad. The CandyCrush fad will soon die and that could possibly mark the end of the companies success. That is what is keeping investors away.

Also, we cannot forget that Candycrush was a ripoff of a private single developers game and they refuse to acknowledge it or affiliate themselves with the developer or the original game. Shame.

You are right, they successful by the only one game and the fever is being over

The problem with this company is that it is based upon a fad. The CandyCrush fad will soon die and that could possibly mark the end of the companies success. That is what is keeping investors away.

Also, we cannot forget that Candycrush was a ripoff of a private single developers game and they refuse to acknowledge it or affiliate themselves with the developer or the original game. Shame.
Do you know the name of this game?

I played Candy Crush Saga, never paid a penny. After reading the stories of their attempts to trademark the word candy and the word saga and the smaller developers they were stepping on in the process, I stopped playing. And pet saga, farm saga, blah saga, if anyone has played Candy Crush for any amount of time they know exactly whats going to be in those games. Different graphics, same game.

The game that was ripped off (allegedly) was called Candy Swipe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...ns-furious-open-letter-to-candy-crush-makers/

Candy Crush is fun. I play it on a regular basis. I have never nor will ever pay a cent to play. Most folks I talk with have given it up because they won't pay to play either and get frustrated after days or weeks of no progression. I can't comment on the alleged rip off cause I don't care. Congrats to King for making a pantload of money but since I am a good capitalist none of it is mine

It's funny to see so many companies think they are going big because of a couple apps, the large majority of them will come crashing down. I think of them like a pop song thats a hit for a week then forgot about for the rest of time. Most of them like Clumsy Bird and Candy Crush are fads that will fade away soon enough.

Back