TechSpot

Cannot access Microsoft web sites Pressario M2000

By Poppa Bear
Nov 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Internet Explorer 8 is unable to access any Microsoft sites on my Presario M2000 laptop with Windows XP Home OEM OS + SP3. Most other sites can be accessed including Google, local bank, forums, etc.

Solutions tried to date:
    • Ran Avast AV, Malwarebytes & Super Antispyware.
    • Have accessed the net using a LAN ethernet cable and Bigpond ISP, and also via a dedicated wireless USB stick to Dodo ISP.
    • Tried Mozilla Firefox browser.
    • In IE ran Diagnose the connection problem.
    • In IE, Advanced Internet Options, restored Advanced Settings to default. Ditto for IE General settings.
    • Also in IE, added Microsoft sites to Trusted sites; and enabled various Active X options to run, etc.
    • Ran system file check witht the Run command: sfc /scannow
    • Ran a universal drivers disc for XP, Vista & Win7 and it showed all drivers were installed and up to date.
    One other forum post found from Google suggested resetting MTU parameters, but I don't know how to do this.

Attached is a Hijackthis log.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You would be best served by having an experienced friend or tech take a quick look.

I see nothing alarming in the HiJack This report. Your computer appears to be protected against infestations...

So it would be helpful to know your configuration: Hard drive, brand, size, and age, memory installed,

Have you tried using FireFox?

3. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 237   +7

Thank you for your feedback.

1. HD is Fujitsu MHT2040ATPL,
    2. Size 40GB.
    3. Not sure of age as PC is 2nd hand. Probably the original so about 6 years old.
    4. 250MB RAM

Yes. See the 3rd entry in my original post under "Solutions tried to date:".