Cannot access wireless internet connection

By teachme1
Feb 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a wireless HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop. I've tried numerous times to re-connect to the internet. The O/S is Windows XP
    The wireless is security enabled, and the connection has limited or no connection.
    I have a home network, the main computer is fine. I have a Linksys wireless G broadband router. My ISP was unable to help, neither was Linksys (they wanted to charge an exorbitant amount of $).
    The Physical Address, IP Address, and Subnet Mask are fine. I do not get a reading on the
    Default Gateway, DNS Server, or the WINS Server.
    I've tried using the Network Wizard, and the Windows XP startup CD with no luck.
    Can anyone help? I'm very good at following step-by-step directions. Thank you.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,675   +152

From the laptop, can you see any wireless networks? If you can, click on your network and click connect. Enter the network key and click ok
  3. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 232

Open the control panel and double click Network connections. Right click on your wireless network connection and select view available wireless networks to see if your laptop detects and networks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.