Cannot associate Editplus with .txt files

By nwyllie
Jan 18, 2009
  1. I've had EditPlus as my default program for .txt files for years. At some time recently the association has been lost and I have attempted to re-associate program and file type, but the association will not take. I go to folder options, file types tab, scroll down and select TXT. I select change and I get the pop-up listing suggestions; EditPlus is not on the list. So I choose browse and find the program, click open, and the program is still not on the list.

I upgraded Editplus after first noting this issue and was able to make the association but it soon became lost again and nothing I've tried will re-establish it.

I'm running XP SP3 with all security updates. I have Avast! for anti virus, Sygate for a firewall, and also run Spyware Doctor (free versions of all). I run the same thing on two other machines and the association is fine. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
  2. nobardin

nobardin TS Rookie Posts: 256

In editplus:

1 Go to Tools / Preferences... / Files / Settings & syntax.

2 Select the File type for which you want EditPlus to be your default editor (like Text, PHP).

3 Make sure that the extension you want to associate with EditPlus is listed in the File extensions field. Multiple extensions for the same file type are separated by a semicolon (";"). Example: php;php3;php4;inc.

4 Check the Association by looking at a text file.

Hope this helps.
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

One would normally re-establish associations by re-installing the program, but I gather you have already done that.

Have a look in the registry under Hkey_Classes_root for the key ".txt".
    What is the program description under '(default)' ? (normally notepad.txt I think)
    What is under the key 'openWithProgIDs' ? (This gives you the list of programs that might open it - what you see when you browse for a file in Windows explorer, and hold down the shift key while pressing enter - not double clicking!! - a .txt file name)
  4. nwyllie

nwyllie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

I'd forgotten to look there but all seemed in order. Thanks for the suggestion and reminder :)
  5. nwyllie

nwyllie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

I'd not tried a total uninstall and re-install (I really hate having to do that and loose settings). I installed the update mentioned over the existing install. I've un-installed and re-installed and the association is back, but I had that before with the update and it got lost again. If I loose it again I'll check the registry.

6. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Go to folder options, file types tab, scroll down and select TXT.

Delete it.

Reboot. Click on a txt file and set your preference.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.