TechSpot

Cannot boot laptop unless battery is out

By cableman
Nov 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I recently got this computer from a friend so I have no idea how long this has been going on. Probably why he got rid of it. I will plug in the power cord and try to boot with the battery in and nothing will happen. If I reach under the laptop and remove the battery and then try to boot up it comes on like normal. I can then put the battery back in but it makes no difference after that. The battery is completely dead. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with a bad battery or what. The computer is a Dell Latitude D630. If I knew that putting a good new battery in it would fix it I would without hesitation I just need to know if that is the problem or is it another glitch. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate if they would pass it on. Thanks

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,468   +327

The charging system has too little capacity to run+charge at the same time. simple solution: buy a new battery

3. cableman

cableman TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 176

Thank you for the response. I like it when it is a simple fix.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.