Cannot connect to the internet on windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused001

hello, i think this is the right place.
i have a problem with my internet connection. I am using windows XP, and zone alarm as my firewall, and my antivirus. I also use mozilla and internet explorer for my web browsers. My internet connection does not work on the operating system. it worked before, i told zone alarm to ask if several win32 programs could go on the internet. Now, i tried allowing them, but they still do not work. Anyone who could help me? plyz.

1.Make sure "Generic Host processs for Win32 services" has two ticks in
Zone Alarm.You have ro restart the computer before that particular
program will reconnect.(It`s DNS related)

2.Have you run any anti-spyware programs recently ?
Sometimes the removal of spyware can damage the Winsock chain.
for which the fix is HERE

I tried what you told me, but both of them do not work.
I even tried reinstalling the program, and it still does not work.
I tried installing a different internet security suite, and it also does not work.
Any sugestions.

confused001 said:
I tried what you told me, but both of them do not work.
I even tried reinstalling the program, and it still does not work.
I tried installing a different internet security suite, and it also does not work.
Any sugestions.

How do you connect to internet? If you have a network card. Un-install it and reboot the PC. Let Windows XP re-install the card driver. Once that's done.

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
click okay
type: ipconfig /all > c:\my_isp_connect.txt
type exit then enter

click on start
click on run
type: c:\my_isp_connect.txt
click okay

Now notepad will open and you'll see what's going. Also if you want, go back to:

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
click okay
type: ping www.google.com see if you can ping that... If you can't then you might have a corrupted socket.

Do you have a Router?

Okay tipstir,
This problem is only isolated to my windows xp, I Am currently dual booting with windows ME. I use the windows ME to go on the internet. This makes it very inconvienient, becasue i need to restart the computer to go on the internet, and I want it to work, so i do not need to go through all of this. I also have zone alarm working on my Windows ME, and it works fine.
So i am positive that my thingy does work.

PS: What is a socket?
Also: Try responding to my other problem.

how are you connecting to the internet? by dailup or broadband/router etc?

Winxp uses sockets as something to do with their networking ability. Winsock is the term.. if you cant download it using pendant's link, then try googling for it, something like winsock repair etc...

Try tipster's advice, and post that text file here, so we can have a look, and also what it says about the ping - ok or not.

Isp connect.txt

sorry for taking very long.
I cann't ping the server! :( I wonder what is wrong.
I got the my isp connect.txt file attached.
Plyz try and help me.
Thanks

Attachments

• my_isp_connect.txt
    801 bytes · Views: 5
Good starting point.. the .txt file.

Now you need to answer some other questions:
-How are you going to the internet? broadband modem, router, wifi, dailup?
-do you or have you previously had Norton Internet Security installed?
-what other addresses have you tried to ping?
-assuming you use the ethernet port to conect to a device to go to the net, have you tried installing the latest drivers for the network card?
-assuming you use dailup, or USB modems do you have the latest modem driver, or tried rolling back to the previous one?

try pinging:
www.google.com

I would uninstall ZA
can try to use services to disable the ZA service program
then disable ZA on boot reboot uninstall
check Za for adding default gateway router ip trusted zone

1. I am connecting to the internet through a broadband modem.
2. No I have not had norton internet security installed, ever in my system. it is cleaned from any norton related materials.
3. I have tried to ping the adderesses that you had posted, and i have also tried pinging the google adress. Everytime that i ping it, it says that there were 4 packages that were lost (lost 100%).
4. I have not tried installing the latest drivers for my ethernet card.

I don't get what samstoned is trying to say to me.
Can anyone put it in more readable language for me. ty

Samstoned trying to say either uninstall Zone alarm altogether, or disable Zonealarm from startup and the services page then uninstall. The last sentance he said was to check the settings on Zonealarm to see if you allowed the gateway to the internet..

try updating your drivers first, then restart the pc. Run your internet connection wizard again throught the cd you got from your ISP. If that still doesnt work then download and run this (link courtousy from pendant :))
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

I tried updating the drivers, but could not find any drivers for my ethernet card.
I do not have a cd from my isp, but i ran the Internet connection wizard, and it still does not work.
I have another problem that has arrived. I disabled zonealarm, but i also left my other antivirus on. Everytime i connect to the internet with IE, or FireFox, it says that there are invalid packet headers.
Got a solution to this? Think this may be the problem?

I will try the winsock fix again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back