Cannot connect to wireless network after fresh install of Windows 7

Wagan8r

My desktop previously had Windows 7 32 bit installed on it, and since I had so many applications installed on it, I had put off installing the 64 bit version. However, last night I decided to bite the bullet and put the 64 bit version on it before I install StarCraft II. The install process runs just fine and puts my old Windows settings in 'C:\Windows.old' directory. The first thing I did was to copy all of the files and folders from 'C:\Windows.old\Users'. Then I tried to connect to my wireless network. No dice. I can view all of the networks within my area, but it tells me that I have put in the incorrect password for my network. Thinking that I may have accidentally capitalized or spelled my password wrong, I reset my router. I then used my laptop and a hardwire to configure the network settings and put in a new password and saved the settings. I then connected my laptop wirelessly with the new password. I went back over to my desktop and tried to connect with the new password. Nada. I haven't had time to install the drivers for my wireless adapter (can't find the disc), nor have I been able to activate my copy of Windows 7 as I have yet to go online with it. Here are the specs of my PC:

Intel Core i7 920
EVGA X58 SLI LE
XFX GeForce GTX 260
Patriot Viper 6GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black HDD
ASUS PCE-N13 IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter

My modem and router are:

LINKSYS CM100-RM Cable Modem
TRENDnet TEW-639GR

My router has been set to use WPA2-PSK with AES. Any help or insight would be helpful!

Note: I am at work for the next 6+ hours, so I won't be able to post screenshots or system dumps.

Need to get drivers for your wireless adapter since your using 64-bit drivers. Can't use 32-bit drivers on 64-bit.

Need to get drivers for your wireless adapter since your using 64-bit drivers. Can't use 32-bit drivers on 64-bit.

I'm not using any drivers except for the default Windows drivers. I haven't found my driver disc, but I'll be downloading them to my laptop and get them on my desktop via flash drive.

If drivers are the issue, why can I see all of the networks in my area and mere not be able to connect?

I'm sure there are other things that could cause this problem, but the first thing I'd check is to make sure that you're using the correct encryption. It's possible that your computer's trying to connect with, say, WEP encryption, which would cause you to get the incorrect password message.

I'm not using any drivers except for the default Windows drivers. I haven't found my driver disc, but I'll be downloading them to my laptop and get them on my desktop via flash drive.

If drivers are the issue, why can I see all of the networks in my area and mere not be able to connect?

You said Cannot connect to wireless network after fresh install of Windows 7?

So you can see your LAN but can't get on the WAN (internet). Under the Network and Sharing Center are you set for Public or Private Network?

Access Type: ?
HomeGroup:
Connections:

On your wireless router does it see this system? Does other systems connect to the internet?

Can you ping this site?
If you type: ipconfig /flushdns do you get an error.
If you type: ipconfig /all is it showing a private IP 169.x.x.x?

Uninstall the wireless network adapter then reinstall it.
Does the wired side access the LAN and WAN okay?

Hey guys, thank you for posting and helping me through this. I'm happy to say that I've gotten it working. All that I did was install the drivers for my network adapter and I was able to connect without any issues. Thanks again! :D

Back