Cannot connect wd 250gb my passport essential to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynda

took this back to shop as would not connect to my pc. windows media center edition (xp). they tried it on laptop and desktop in store and worked straight away.
Any ideas why I can't connect, tried it in front and back USB ports.

the WD passport hard drives are considered "high-power" USB devices, which means that not all ports will be able to run them. there is a certain amount of power (can't remember off the top of my head) that is required to run the drive and not all USB ports are powerful enough. unless the drive has worked before on your computer, then you might not have ports that are capable of powering the device.

That external drive may have an AC adapter that will supply additional connection power. I hope it isn't an optional not supplied device

the WD passport hard drives are considered "high-power" USB devices, which means that not all ports will be able to run them. there is a certain amount of power (can't remember off the top of my head) that is required to run the drive and not all USB ports are powerful enough. unless the drive has worked before on your computer, then you might not have ports that are capable of powering the device.

I'll add.... that the WD Passports are particularly bad for this problem.

1) They;'ve been to known to EXCEED the USB hi powered spec (500mA)
2) Compounded by sometimes a computer (more so laptops) don't exactly meet the 500mA spec for their own USB hi powered ports

Google for USB 1000mA
Buy an external USB hub that can supply 1000mA (i.e. exceeding the 500mA USB spec).

/* EDIT */
P.S. I think is useful to have such a hub around (i bought one myself when testing and found this exact problem with a friends WD Passport btw!)

Thanks All, but seems to have resolved itself. After about 4 hours of carrying on with what I was doing, went to do a disk clean up for my internal hard drive and was asked which hd i wanted to clean, hd or my passport!!! Don't know how or why but is connecting now.
btw cannot "safely remove hardware" as it gives a message saying still working or something to that effect, so have to "unsafely remove it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back