TechSpot

Cannot copy folder from external USB drive

By Squiggly1
Apr 12, 2009
  1. I backed up my failing computer's documents & settings data to an external USB drive. I completely reinstalled a (new) version of XP Home Edition on the computer. Now when I try to copy and paste the folder from by USB drive to my C drive I instantly get an error message "Cannot copy file". I tried unchecking "read only" for the folder and all of it's contents. That didn't work. In fact after I click "OK" and view the folder properties, "read only" is back to the checked state again. I suspect this is something to do with NTFS permissions or something. When booting with an Ubuntu live CD I can't even VIEW the drive, as it's saying that the USB drive is "locked". What is the workaround to copy it off my external drive back to my new C drive?

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

Is the USB drive physically locked? Like one of those "lock" switches on sandisks...
    If you are copying it, all you would need to do is read, and I think that read only box is always check, everything on my computer is read only, not that I can't write or modify.

4. Squiggly1

Squiggly1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 54

I took a closer look. Everything copies fine except MicroSoft Word files with long file names. I am not even able to copy from Volume D to Volume C. Right clicking these stubborn files doesn't even show the copy option. Strange! I read about cancopy.net but the site is shut down. Perhaps there's another software out there that allows you to copy files with long file names?

UPDATE: Apparently this is related to a bug with Windows. After doing some reading I think the solution is to use the command prompt's XCOPY command. Since DOS ignores long files (by renaming them to short names) it just goes ahead a copies. What a pain in the **** it has been to zero in on this problem! I've spent hours trying to figure this one out.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

Thanks for that update! :grinthumb

Had a chance to learn something new myself from it!! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.