Cannot delete file

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudebhoy

Hi,

First post, so please be gentle!

I have some files I am unable to delete, when I try in Windows Explorer I get "Cannot delete file, it is being used by another person or program."

There are no other programs running.

I have also tried deleting it via the DOS prompt and get "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I have rebooted a few times and get the same.

It is annoying as the files are hard disk copies of a dvd and are taking up 4+ gb!

Any ideas?

Have you look in your "Windows Task Manager" to see if the application is running there? If so do a "End Task" then try and delete the file. Sometimes you can "Rename the folder or File" and "Delete it this way.
By the way, what is the program or file that you are trying to delete?

Nothing else is running in Task Manager.

It won't let me rename it as "it is being used by another person or process".

The files are Pinnacle Disc Images files (.pdi).

I also tried a chksum on the disc and it didn't help. And checked the properties, and they are not read-only files ...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What Windows OS are you running?

Open the programme where the files(the dvd programme used to burn them perhaps) are stored and remove them from the library or burning list you should then be able to delete them.

Regards Howard

:wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard.

I tried that. I'm running some piece of cack called Pinnacle Instant Copy (it came free with the DVD rewriter). It doesn't have an option to delete what it calls "virtual discs".

I'm on XP.

rudebhoy said:
Thanks Howard.

I tried that. I'm running some piece of cack called Pinnacle Instant Copy (it came free with the DVD rewriter). It doesn't have an option to delete what it calls "virtual discs".

I'm on XP.

Click start then run and type "msconfig" without the quotes.

When the console window appears click on the startup tab and try and locate the Pinnacle thing and untick the box then click apply.

Also click on the services tab tick the box that says hide all Microsoft services and see if there`s anything that you don`t want or need if so untick them and click apply then ok.

You will be prompted to restart your computer.

After your computer has restarted a dialogue box will appear saying that msconfig has been used to make changes tick the box that says not to show or run msconfig on startup again and then ok

Hopefully you will have dissabled the offending piece of software and should now be able to delete the files that you want.

Regards Howard
:grinthumb

Here's something else you can try as well...
I would do a clean boot and launch the Pinnacle program. Then check the help file for mounting and dis-mounting virtual drives...
Depending on how they are set up some burner programs create virtual drives on hard drive space in order to create/copy and burn files.
The access to these virtual drives is controlled by the burner software itself.
You should be able to see the virtual drive in Pinnacle and follow the instructions to dis-mount the drive.

Hope this helps.

patio. :cool:

thanks guys.

tried msconfig, switched off the pinnacle processes, rebooted, but no joy.

the help on Pinnacle is so poor, it doesn't tell you how to dismount virtual drives.

however ... uninstalled Pinnacle, and managed to delete the files!

the question now is, should I bother reinstalling, or is there a better dvd copying utility I can get hold of free of charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back