Cannot find Wireless Adapter after Windows XP reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dataslycer

I just reinstall a new windows xp on a friend's laptop after her last OS was damaged when an anti-spyware/virus deleted a system file in a scan. The problem is that the product-key under her laptop wasn't working when it tried to verify it. I used a makeshift one that was old so I can later on change the product key and do a genuine verification online.

Here is the problem. Her wireless adapter was not visible on device manager or control panel. Is there a starting point where I can find the solution to this problem?

I assume that the said drivers would be on a set up CD or a driver CD that comes with the laptop? If so, the person said that she didn't get a CD since her parents gave her the laptop. I will ask if there was once. Hopefully that may help. Anything else you can suggest to me?

Potentially, but not necessarily. You can easily obtain all of the device drivers for your system on the manufacturer's site.

Is the adapter integrated or was it purchased after the laptop as an accessory of sorts?

Post the system's brand/model if possible and if the adapter was bought after-the-fact, post the brand/model of that as well.

It is integrated within the laptop, I believe. Unfortunately I am not as familiar with laptop topology to be able to open it up without being able to replace the chassis the way it is. If this is the case, how would I know the brand/model? What I think is a possibility to to find out is what computer she bought as a package.

Zenosincks said:
Is the adapter integrated or was it purchased after the laptop as an accessory of sorts?

Post the system's brand/model if possible and if the adapter was bought after-the-fact, post the brand/model of that as well.

You don't have to open anything :). If the adapter is integrated, just provide the laptop's brand/model (should be visible on the outside of the laptop somewhere). For instance, "Compaq Presario 2500".

Hmm, I just checked Device Manage it seems that not only the wireless not working but audio and other devices because driver is not install (as expected). I guess the wireless adapter problem is just part of this problem

Here is the model and make: HP Pavilion dv4000.

Whoops, seems I got 3 links for the product

» HP Pavilion dv4000 CTO Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv4000LA Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv4000XX Notebook PC

Edit: Sorry. I should be more specific. It typed in HP Pavilion dv4000 in the search here. http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html and identified 3 notebooks that has the brand with slight difference in suffixes. I am trying to figure how to find which is the correct notebook.

1) If the tag on bottom of your laptop simply stated HP Pavilion dv4000 (without the letters after it) then that's what you got or if it has the LA or XX after it (then that's what you got)
2) If you go to the HP link i provided you can also just hit the Detect button and it will detect the exact model as well

Originally I used the product number in the search but got no result. However what I did was to initiate a chat session with an HP technician and it seems that the R at the end stands for refurbished. She also provided the link to the recover CD that I was looking for. It will take 5-7 business days but I think we are close to the conclusion of the problem now. Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back