Cannot finish installing os to external hdd

By mrblood1987
Sep 16, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have printed out a guide to installing a copy of windoze xp to an external hdd; but at the step 6 I seem to get stuck. It instructs me to move entries from [inputdeviessupport.load] to the [bootbusextenders.load] section. I am very confused as to what exactly I am to do here, then it continues, saying: "... now the same for [bootbusextenders] and [inputdevicessupport]" and has much more code, I am lost. Which entries am I moving and is the second half of these instructions the same to sections?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

These are part of the "TXTSETUP.SIF" file
    I believe you are working from this site (if not, then you should) http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

It is all there in black and white
    I haven't done it myself, because Ubuntu Live CD already is an OS on bootable media, and this external USB boot Windows XP usually gives many errors

Also I think why you haven't had many replies is because Windoze is actually Windows and you also didn't say which guide you are working off (you could have typed h t t p : // w w w . here'sthesitelink . com To make it easier for others to know what you're talking about.

Just stick with Linux bootcds
  3. mrblood1987

mrblood1987 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

yeah

funny thing, I am using that guide, I figured out my last problem, but it seems that when I re-wrote those files, it didn't work so well. Also, I say windoze because I would rather stay away from any copywright issues with the actual os. But now the issue I'm having is that I can install and reboot to finish installing windows, but then during the installation interface, it freezes around with 9 minutes left. I'm pretty sure that I just made a couple of errors when altering those files. Also, I'm getting ubuntu, I have 750g external hdd, I am installing windows in order to boot off of computers to work on them, when the internal hdd is not working. But your concern is appreciated.
  4. mrblood1987

also, I appreciate the pointers, I am new to the whole forums, but I like this site, it has been most helpful
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I haven't actually done it , but see others have. Some worked, some failed. I think it depends upon the hardware too (annoyingly!)
  6. mrblood1987

hardware lol

yeah, I hear that, my fingers are crossed I can get it to work on one of my 3 computers... honestly, this is the most entertaining software hack I've ever tried, I'm hoping it works...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.