Cannot finish installing os to external hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have printed out a guide to installing a copy of windoze xp to an external hdd; but at the step 6 I seem to get stuck. It instructs me to move entries from [inputdeviessupport.load] to the [bootbusextenders.load] section. I am very confused as to what exactly I am to do here, then it continues, saying: "... now the same for [bootbusextenders] and [inputdevicessupport]" and has much more code, I am lost. Which entries am I moving and is the second half of these instructions the same to sections?

These are part of the "TXTSETUP.SIF" file
I believe you are working from this site (if not, then you should) http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

It is all there in black and white
I haven't done it myself, because Ubuntu Live CD already is an OS on bootable media, and this external USB boot Windows XP usually gives many errors

Also I think why you haven't had many replies is because Windoze is actually Windows and you also didn't say which guide you are working off (you could have typed h t t p : // w w w . here'sthesitelink . com To make it easier for others to know what you're talking about.

Just stick with Linux bootcds

yeah

funny thing, I am using that guide, I figured out my last problem, but it seems that when I re-wrote those files, it didn't work so well. Also, I say windoze because I would rather stay away from any copywright issues with the actual os. But now the issue I'm having is that I can install and reboot to finish installing windows, but then during the installation interface, it freezes around with 9 minutes left. I'm pretty sure that I just made a couple of errors when altering those files. Also, I'm getting ubuntu, I have 750g external hdd, I am installing windows in order to boot off of computers to work on them, when the internal hdd is not working. But your concern is appreciated.

I haven't actually done it , but see others have. Some worked, some failed. I think it depends upon the hardware too (annoyingly!)

hardware lol

yeah, I hear that, my fingers are crossed I can get it to work on one of my 3 computers... honestly, this is the most entertaining software hack I've ever tried, I'm hoping it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back