Cannot Install Anything, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon

OS WIN XP Home. I start installing a program and about 5% into instillation I get an error message saying there is an error and instillation will abort. Is this an error in XP? If so, is there a fix for it? I've tried to re-run XP and I get an error message. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

you can check to see if you have file corruption that is causing the problem.

with the XP disk in your optical drive go to start/run in th epop up box type" sfc /scannow " this will run System file checker and it will examine windows protected files for missing files or corruption if any of them are missing or corrupted then it will replace those files with files from your XP disk.

Thanks ISS and tbrunt3. I ran exactly as you said, and the error message I get when installing ANY program is: "cannot access file E:/symsetup.exe." or just setup.exe sometimes. No problem with the disc initializing, so it would seem that the drive is ok, right? I've checked for updates to the drive and it says it is up to date.

This sounds more like a problem with your CD- or DVD-drive, either being dirty, or improper drivers.
If this is where you try to install from, go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager.
Check if there are any yellow or red signs in there.

Also rightclick My Computer on the desktop, select Manage/System Tools/Event Viewer and check Applications and System for any yellow or red signs.
Then post back here please.

Thanks realblackstuff -

None on control/system/device manager

In application there are lots of both yellow and red.
In System there are lots of red and 1 of yellow

Hello sharon
Welcome could please post all your computer specs ?This helps us help you and provides us with infromation.

IF you do not know your specs. They can be found in control panel under system also this program here will tell you

Everest HOme edition which can be found here

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

also need to know the program you are having problem with

It is probbly a bad cd or driver as was said before let us know..

Hi tbrunt3 -

Dell - Intel Pentium III Processor - 798 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

MS WINXP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 2
(I've tried to delete Service Pack 2 and it will not go)

I've been trying to install all kinds of things to rule out bad disks, among them are Quicken, Norton Internet Security, and I also was trying to reinstall XP. Everything boots up from CDROM and starts to install, then stops.

Thanks

I forgot to say that I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104

Can you give us the number and short text of those red and yellow errors? One of each will do. We can work it from there probably.

If what she is saying is true, either the software (OS) layer is totally corrupted, or she has a hardware fault.

Go into the device manager. Hit PRINT SCREEN key, and then paste into some image editor. save as a jpeg and post it here if you can, upload an attachment. let us take a look at it.

Your machine is in a bad way, though, I can tell that from here.

realblackstuff - Here goes, and thanks for sticking with me on this.
I am thinking back to when this started - I was upgrading Norton and it said to completely erase my old version, which I did. Then came the problem with all disks.

Event Viewer - APPLICATION - Yellow

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: EvntAgnt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1015
Date: 2/12/2005
Time: 5:20:42 AM
User: N/A
Computer: GREYDELL
Description:

TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Viewer - APPLICATION - Red

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/11/2005
Time: 7:21:21 AM
Description:
Fault bucket 00527484.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 30 30 35 32 37 34 38 34 00527484
0010: 0d 0a ..

Event Viewer – SYSTEM – Yellow

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1001
Time: 7:21:21 AM
Description:

Fault bucket 00527484.

Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 30 30 35 32 37 34 38 34 00527484
0010: 0d 0a ..

Event Viewer – SYSTEM – Red

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event ID: 36
Time: 9:36:59 PM
Description:

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

phatasm66

Anything in particular from Device Manager?

MS is of no help (as usual).
From what I have been able to collect from the web, it might be a file: tsuserex.dll that could be corrupted.
To find out, boot into safe mode, click Start/Run and type sfc /scannow and press OK. Keep you XP-CD handy, if the program requires files from it.
Uninstalling Norton is one of the worst possible tasks that anyone has to do.
Check on Symantec's website for UNinstall instructions for your exact norton-package.
The standard uninstall no doubt laft any amount of debris behind.

I'm still at it

I still cannot install from CD. I've pretty much ruled out problems with the CD/DVD RW, as it will start installing a few steps then it stops with this message now:

SearchAndRecover.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

Too bad it can't just continue and tell us what the error is.

I tried looking up the file suggested - tuuserex.dll - with no luck.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That program may be the culprit: SearchAndRecover.exe
The current version is 2.5 from January 2005.
Can you start with that program NOT running? Then try an install?
Or have you tried installing anything in Safe Mode?

Thanks - how do I disable SearchandRecover?

I'll try and install in Safe Mode and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back