TechSpot

Cannot install device drivers!

By Boudeccea
Oct 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Inspirion 1420 that originally ran Vista. My daughter dropped it, while running, of course, and crashed the hard drive. A friend replaced it with one he had and loaded Windows 7 on it. Now the CDROM won't work. I bought an external CD/DVD. It won't work. I can use USB thumb drives and I have an external My Book attached but those are the only 2 things that work. I updated Windows and that didn't help. It won't let me update the current drivers as it says that the most current are already running. I tried to download Daemon tools and mount a virtual drive (thinking I could use a different computer to create disk images and then run my programs that way) to no avail. I can access the internet (obviously) but any type of drive just WON'T work at all and I'm getting VERY frustrated!!!! BTW...in Device Manager I do not have any of the yellow signs with !. HELP

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

Filters are device driver "add-on" parts. A single corrupt CD/DVD "class" filter driver can affect each and every CD/DVD drive on the machine (because Windows applies a "class" filter for class=CDROM to each and every CD/DVD drive connected)

Let me take a quick look just in case might apply

Download/run Filter Driver Load Order tool
    > Select any one of your CD/DVD drives (any one will do because they all share the same class filters)
    > Click the Clipboard button at bottom of tool window
    > Then paste the result into your next post

[​IMG]

3. Boudeccea

Boudeccea TS Rookie Topic Starter

----------------------------------------------------
    Filter Driver Load Order
    ----------------------------------------------------

Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
    Device Object: WD My Book 1130 USB Device
    Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
    File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
    File Description: Partition Management Driver
    File Version: 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) [6.1.7600.16385]
    Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Product Version: 6.1.7600.16385 [6.1.7600.16385]
    Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

Please repeat but this time select one of your CD/DVD drives

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.