TechSpot

Cannot install Windows

By nickc
Jul 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. on an old computer, I am running an I7 2900 on a P8P67 ASUS Board. The PSU is a CORSAIR VX450W The video card is an old one that could be 8 to 10 years old.but is working. Windows trashed itself and froze so after it was not able to repair itself I decided to reinstall. The DVD can delete the partition and build a new one, and format. Then I started to Install Windows, it gets to where it reboots and then windows Freeses, I get exactly the same place every time I try to reinstall. The PSU I had in the closet for a year or two before I put it in the case but it has not been in it for more than a year The C: drive I have had since SATA drives were first built. I will be glad to answere any questions. and no I can not spell!

nickc
  2. c3h899

c3h899 TS Rookie Posts: 39

http://www.memtest86.com/
    Sounds like a hardware error. Bad memory or a bad sector on you HDD will cause this.
    Run memtest86, if it comes out clean. Have you windows install do a FULL partition NOT a quick one.
  3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,624

Thanks for the link I do have new memory that I will try installing an see if that fixes it.

Thanks
    nickc
  4. L.Fluffy

L.Fluffy TS Member

Your onboard graphics card should give you better graphics judging by the fact that you said its a 8-10 year old graphics card. Try booting without graphics card installed.
  5. nickc

no onboard graphics. and it was the board it quit even trying to reboot, another word black screen permanent.
  6. L.Fluffy

L.Fluffy TS Member

I have that same problem with another computer but I changed the bus speed to high. Have you resolved the problem yet?
  7. nickc

Yes, I ordered another board today.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.